Who is breeding what and where?

If this is it then I've got it... pm me your e-mail addy if you want it.
Spawning and development of larvae and juveniles of the rare blue Mauritius angelfish, Centropyge debelius (1988), in the hatchery
F Baensch, CS Tamaru - Journal of the World Aquaculture

Your breeding skills and success rates are literally a world first!

Also - it was my understanding that the cysts of the artemia are undigestable - thus the reason they are harmful for your fish, didnt know they carry diseases! Do you have a source or article re. this? Very interesting!

Dane, thanks for the compliment. Let´s put it that way. With being very practical, I found a way of raising clowns in a very efficient way and I skipped a few years practicing.

Brine cysts are undigestable for fry. That is right, but I did not have any stupid clown larvae, who swallowed the cysts, which I added on purpose to the rearing tank. Everybody says, clown larvae die, because of the cysts. Bullshit, a few might die, because they swallowed the cysts by accident or on purpose, because they starving. The majority dies, because of lack in nutrition, quantity and quality, water quality issues and the breeders laziness.
You must remember, the majority, (if not almost all) articles on breeding were published by hobbyists. That means, fulltime job and breeding as a hobby. To satisfy your ego, you have to lie sometimes to yourself.
"I raised 50% of the clowns, 20% looks fine and 30% is misbared. Misbaring is due to genetics and 50% mortality is due to brine shrimp eggs, water quality and natural selection."
That is how you lie to yourself. For a hobbyist it is a good result and there is actually nothing wrong with loosing 50% due to lack in food and poor water quality.
Or 30% misbars due to the same reasons. But to admit in public, I could have done better, that is the point.
Ask all men, if they satify her lady. The majority will answer with YES.
Now ask all women, if they get satisfied by their man. The majority will ask, "What´s a climax?"

I noticed, female breeder are much more open towards their mistakes and admiting why it was not the wanted result.

I read to much crap on the web. I rather prove it myself.

I must have a look about an article regarding brine shrimp and cysts.

Yuri, give me the article title, authors and journal and I'd be happy to see if I can get institutional access through uct. Would only take me a few minutes.

That´s how I get my articles. Takes a bit longer, though. My buddy is not always the quickest.;)

LuckyFish, I have a few questions for you if you don't mind.

I read your articles on Breeding Banggai Cardinals and I have a empty 3ft tank plumbed into my 600L frag setup. I would like to breed Banggai's in the way you suggested with the different compartments. I would just like to know what I could make these partitions out of, as if you use glass then you wont get any flow in the separate compartments. Also what temperature should I run the tanks at?

LuckyFish, I have a few questions for you if you don't mind.

I read your articles on Breeding Banggai Cardinals and I have a empty 3ft tank plumbed into my 600L frag setup. I would like to breed Banggai's in the way you suggested with the different compartments. I would just like to know what I could make these partitions out of, as if you use glass then you wont get any flow in the separate compartments. Also what temperature should I run the tanks at?

You can run the return into each compartments and the mating area would get the overflow.
The "doors" could be raised a bit or the water could overflow from the compartments into the mating area. Many ways to this.
The main thing is, all dividers have to be tinted/painted or whatever.
Real temperature between 27 and 28 degrees. (there is a thread about three thermometers with different readings)

You can run the return into each compartments and the mating area would get the overflow.
The "doors" could be raised a bit or the water could overflow from the compartments into the mating area. Many ways to this.
The main thing is, all dividers have to be tinted/painted or whatever.
Real temperature between 27 and 28 degrees. (there is a thread about three thermometers with different readings)

The temperature thing is fine as I have digital temperature meters with the ability to calibrate them, so they all perfect for now. Could I use black perspex, as I'm not sure how I would paint glass and still be marine safe.

The temperature thing is fine as I have digital temperature meters with the ability to calibrate them, so they all perfect for now. Could I use black perspex, as I'm not sure how I would paint glass and still be marine safe.

Black perspex should be fine. Makes it easy with cutting in the doors, etc.
Please post your build in the DIY or breeding forum. Would be helpful for others as well.

How to calibrate a thermometer? Read post #6

http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?p=364510#post364510

That´s how I get my articles. Takes a bit longer, though. My buddy is not always the quickest.;)

If anyone of you guys have it can you send it to me
If i do not get the angels i want it will still be a nice read

Very stupid idea, my friend. The main reason why breeders decapsule brine shrimp eggs is, the eggs are contaminated with many diseases. That does not mean, they will break out, but they can. As an example, if you would feed lots of frozen brine shrimp to your display tank over a long period of time, without rinsing the brines, the fish in your tank will be more or less okay. There might be a loss here and there, but you don´t know why the fish died. Any new introduced fish will die! That is a fact and this fact is very expensive. I paid that bill already. When I started with marines, I was just lazy and kept the frozen brine shrimp cube in front of a powerhead for feeding.
Deadly mistake!
So don´t do such stupid experiments in the future.
BTW, brines are not living in the ocean, so you can´t expect them to survive under these conditions.
Another issue with using non decapsulated artemia cysts is the introduction of hydroids, these sting fry causing mortalities. This is not a problem when raing peppermint shrimp as they eat them but is a major problem when raising clowns and other shrimp species.

Another issue with using non decapsulated artemia cysts is the introduction of hydroids, these sting fry causing mortalities. This is not a problem when raing peppermint shrimp as they eat them but is a major problem when raising clowns and other shrimp species.

Steve, I heard about it. The guys in the states got plenty of problems with hydroids.

Reading through the Thread makes me wonder - if brine shrimp are not part of a natural ocean, why are they being "cultivated" for feeding to our reef systems? The fish wouldn't normally eat this food source and in efforts to breed certain species, they are dying off because the food they are trying to ingest is killing them...

At the moment I don't understand why brine shrimp comes across as a common food scource which is fed to reef aquarioums in SA, if it is as dangerous. We are creating a longer term problem in our reefs, surely??

If you aren't going to swallow chicken bones, why are we expecting our fish to do a similar thing? Or do I have my understanding all wrong? Please correct me, I am just trying to understand the more correct methodology and principles.

Marcel - you have an e-mail. Yuri, pm me your e-mail addy if you want the article.

Peter - brine shrimp are not ideal. This is why marcel is always stressing the necessity of feeding the brine with green water etc. They are just live carriers for the more natural nutrients we want to pass on to the fish.

Reading through the Thread makes me wonder - if brine shrimp are not part of a natural ocean, why are they being "cultivated" for feeding to our reef systems? The fish wouldn't normally eat this food source and in efforts to breed certain species, they are dying off because the food they are trying to ingest is killing them...

At the moment I don't understand why brine shrimp comes across as a common food scource which is fed to reef aquarioums in SA, if it is as dangerous. We are creating a longer term problem in our reefs, surely??

If you aren't going to swallow chicken bones, why are we expecting our fish to do a similar thing? Or do I have my understanding all wrong? Please correct me, I am just trying to understand the more correct methodology and principles.

Brines are easy to cultivate and found there is in breeding fresh water species. Because they occure in almost no salinity up to a very high salinity, they are used for marine aquaculture as well. Brine shrimps are used as a shell, just like rotifers, to transfer high value nutrition via the brine/rotifer into the larvae.
The nutrition value of a brine shrimp is similar like the nutrition value of the brines food. Except directly after hatching.
Brines are not dangerous, if frozen adult brines are rinsed well before feeding and if live brine naupli are rinsed as well before feeding. There was a time without flakes and pellets, frozen and dried prey only.

When you wrote, long term problems in our reefs, you probably meant the tank at home. No, if rinsed well! Rather feed frozen mysis than frozen brines, as the nutriton value is much better.

Hope this answers your questions.

Marcel - you have an e-mail. Yuri, pm me your e-mail addy if you want the article.

Peter - brine shrimp are not ideal. This is why marcel is always stressing the necessity of feeding the brine with green water etc. They are just live carriers for the more natural nutrients we want to pass on to the fish.

Thanks bud.
Even green water(Nannochloropsis) is poor nutrition. A mix from different algae cultures, will give good results. Nannochloropsis is just easier to grow than Tetraselmis or Isochrysis.

The fish larvae will eat, what the brine shrimp ate! That simple. You can pass on medication to the fish/fishlarvae via live brine shrimp as they are filter feeders.

Thanks you have a pm

Thanks bud.
Even green water(Nannochloropsis) is poor nutrition. A mix from different algae cultures, will give good results. Nannochloropsis is just easier to grow than Tetraselmis or Isochrysis.

The fish larvae will eat, what the brine shrimp ate! That simple. You can pass on medication to the fish/fishlarvae via live brine shrimp as they are filter feeders.
That is why i asked lanzo to import selcon
I think i will remind him

That is why i asked lanzo to import selcon
I think i will remind him

The case is 10 or 12 litre. That is what they will send from Belgium.
What do you want with Selco?

Back
Top Bottom