Urgent help needed White Spot

Sorry dont agree at all, you can run a tank as fallow as you like and quarantine a Powder Blue, Regal or Achillies as long as you like, put them in that tank and for the first few weeks they will have white spot.

I do not agree with you
White spot is a parasite and can be killed ( scientist have shown it ofer and ofer )

If you want to have a look at my Achilles hybrid It is white spot free

@Alan...I cant agree more...I’ve been seeing the white spot post for ever here and especially with the tang family even after qt within weeks the w/s return and the cycle start again back to qt. and then back to dt again...That method does not resolve the stress factor and every time you put a net to the tank you stress the living crap out of them...treatment in the system always has worked for me and that is my experience...

Not the first time i've heard this ! Thanks boet !;)

Last edited by a moderator:
@Skumbuza It means keeping your tank without Fish:thumbup:

@Alan and JacoC - I agree with Yuri.

Cryptocaryon Irritans is parasite. That being said it lives on a host and has a specific lifecycle. In the case of the abovementioned disease, it spends a certain period off the fish whilst it is in its cyst form. By doing the transfer method with an increase in temperature, you speed up its lifecycle and the cysts drops down to the bottom of the bucket. You then transfer the fish to its next bucket, and you break the parasite's reproductive cycle. If you continue this a couple of times more, you will elliminate the parasite completely off the fish. The only way it can then still have it is if it contracts it from the display tank it is placed in.

Also, doing just quarantine without a treatment method only shows that the fish does not show symptoms.it might still be there live and well. By doing Hypo, Transfer, Copper(Yuck) you kill its chances of surviving into your display and quarantine is merely what it is there for afterwards - a method to observe any illnesses after treatment/before introduction.

I understand Achilles, regal and powerblues are prone to it but that is due to their physiology(Being scaleless one of them). In the wild they cover many kilometers a day never staying to long in the same area hence the chance for infection being almost nil. In a tank environment if the tank has the parasite in the water already, it will get infected easier due to being longer in the proximity of parasite.

I believe the three notorious "ich carriers" can be ich free provided that their tank they inhabit is also free of the parasite.

my 5c

Last edited:
That being said it lives on a host and has a specific lifecycle

explain this...I moved my tank twice in the last year...the regal and yellow tang got w/s and black spot very bad, I treated with myxazin for 3days...white spot and b/s went away and for 11 months no w/s or b/s appeared in the tank again...April I packed up and moved to a new house...w/s appeared a few days later ..so I decided to leave and monitored the case only on the regal this time and spots are gone in 5 days...it’s been 3 months and still no out brake...so if w/s parasite need a host to survive how did they survive for all this time...
My opinion is w/s is like cancer all fish have it ...it only needs a trigger to activate the disease....and certain species just handle stress better than others...fish bought from lfs’s and introduced to your tank that develop w/s is a sign of stress and bad handling when caught and placed in that small bag...and from there how and when did you intrudes it to your tank...the lfs supplier how did they cutch that fish and how was it transported...

Think about it...how often did you go to an lfs and the shipment just arrived ...when they unpack and empty the bags how many fish is dead ....sometimes half or even more fish is DOA...(what does that tell you of their suppliers..?) and now..what does the home reefer do?...they buy the rest of the live stock and within a few days/week, they go back the fish died and now w/s gets the blame ....What is your water parameters..? and what did you feed...? and the list goes on and on and on...meantime that fish was caught in the ocean using gas (cyanide) or some other drug and gets shipped same time..

The reality is there is only a hand full of lfs’s that don’t sell their new stock immediately and they know where to order from and land healthy stock...this lfs’s will not sell you stock if they know it is under stress...so it’s up to the buyers to do their home work and find the reputable lfs and to stop supporting the guy’s out there that’s only in it for the buck...this is unfortunately the reality and a pity we can’t use the forums to list the bad lfs’s out there..

Last edited:
@jacoc

Myxazin is a very effective antibiotic I also use it for bacterial infections like finrot. I just used it recently with great results. I had a pygmy angel that was given a copper treatment a it had finrot thereafter as what sometimes happen in copper treatment on fish. After a few days I treated him with Myxazin. It has formaline and malachite green but it is not very effective against W/S.

It helps with healing the wounds but wont kill the W/S. You are purely treating the symptoms and provided, when you move again, I am prepared to wager that you will have another outbreak because the fish are stressed and their immune systems are affected. And you have not dealt with the primary problem. The fish can harbour the parasite and not really show it nor really affect the fish as it may have somewhat of an immunity to it and its immune system is capable of keeping it at bay. Another classical example is Amyloodinium occelatum(A fish is capable of hosting it without any symptoms until it gets heavily stressed. I am reading a scientific paper on this at the mo.).

Bare in mind, the primary infection is mostly in the gills where you can't see. When you see it on the skin that is when it starts to get more advanced. It takes one parasite organism to survive to allow a complete new outbreak. It can devide in the cyst from one to a 1000 new organisms.

Juyst for interest I got this from their website

Myxazin

MYXAZIN lowers the count of harmful bacteria in aquarium water, treating Fin Rot, Body Rot, Ulcers, Sores and other bacterial infections. MYXAZIN will also help to control Pop - Eye Disease, Cloudy Eyes and Mouth Fungus. MYXAZIN should be used daily until symptoms disappear (typically this would be between 3 and 5 applications). MYXAZIN can also be used to sterilise nets and live foods such as Daphnia and Tubifex. MYXAZIN is mild on fish, highly biodegradable and effective against a wide range of fish health problems.

Another thing all fish caught in the wild will most probably have some sort of parasite/worms etc.

L8r...

Last edited:
Cryptocaryon Irritans is parasite. That being said it lives on a host and has a specific lifecycle. In the case of the abovementioned disease, it spends a certain period off the fish whilst it is in its cyst form. By doing the transfer method with an increase in temperature, you speed up its lifecycle and the cysts drops down to the bottom of the bucket. You then transfer the fish to its next bucket, and you break the parasite's reproductive cycle. If you continue this a couple of times more, you will elliminate the parasite completely off the fish. The only way it can then still have it is if it contracts it from the display tank it is placed in. Also, doing just quarantine without a treatment method only shows that the fish does not show symptoms.it might still be there live and well. By doing Hypo, Transfer, Copper(Yuck) you kill its chances of surviving into your display and quarantine is merely what it is there for afterwards - a method to observe any illnesses after treatment/before introduction. I understand Achilles, regal and powerblues are prone to it but that is due to their physiology(Being scaleless one of them). In the wild they cover many kilometers a day never staying to long in the same area hence the chance for infection being almost nil. In a tank environment if the tank has the parasite in the water already, it will get infected easier due to being longer in the proximity of parasite. I believe the three notorious "ich carriers" can be ich free provided that their tank they inhabit is also free of the parasite.
I understand the theory behind this but in practice i dont know if its that effective. My fish can go a year without showing signs of spot and then one day my Achilles is covered, i dont even stress about it anymore. Personally i would suggest good husbandry and the lowering of stress levels in the fish.

So you wanted to kill white spot with formalin ?
I think it is more effective as a dip then treat with a low dose in the tank

Then the second thing do you quarentine new your corals ,inverts and liverock

Then the second thing do you quarentine new your corals ,inverts and liverock

no and no...havend bought fish for so long ....90% my stock coral / fish.. been in the tank over 10 years and new frags recently got from a reliable source...
should i ad more fish it will only come from a reputable sourse as well..

no and no...havend bought fish for so long ....90% my stock coral / fish.. been in the tank over 10 years and new frags recently got from a reliable source...
should i ad more fish it will only come from a reputable sourse as well..

The only reliable source is when it has been quarantined from your quarantine tank

White spot can survive in your tank, to only break out 10 months later as in the case with Jaco. The fish gets immune (almost) to whitespot, and they can fight it off successfully. So they do get infected slightly, and recover quickly. But the parasite was able to complete another cycle. But when stressed, and there are parasites around looking for a host, they can infect the fish easier and more noticeable. Same with humans, you can get a slight cold, cough and sneeze for a day then you are fine again. Add some other external factors to put your body under stress and you end up in bed.

What we can see on the fish are the actual almost fully grown spots on the fish. Take into account white spot is actually very very small. And we normally can not see it. Only at the end of the parasitic stage can we see the white spot. And those on the gills are hidden.

When you move fish from your quarantine to display, do not use a net. Do not take the fish out of the water. When does it stress the most, "help I'm out of the water, water, what is this air I'm breathing...."

Or your hands. You are warm blooded, 36 degree creature. The fish is in 23-25 degrees. What does that difference feels like for the fish? Go ahead stick your hands in 49 to 51 degrees water. Same effect. Will you? So why do it to the fish that you are spending a lot of time and trouble to quarantine?

Use a plastic bag.

Last edited:
@ RiaanP...you sure do have a way of explaining ...are you sure you not a lector or teacher somewhere?..lol..
what you say make sense but I’m still not convinced that w/s can survive for so long without hosting a host...before last year’s move the tank went 7 years without any w/s or any other disease...

before last year’s move the tank went 7 years without any w/s or any other disease...
but did it go 7 years without adding anything else, corals, anything mounted on a piece of live rock.

You always could have reintroduced it shortly before the move. Even from a hermits shell. Anything the cyst could have cemented itself on to

Somewhere is a document that says the whitespot dies out after about 10 cycles in your tank. Something to do with inbreeding or whatever. But apparently one strain when in a healthy tank will only last about 10 cycles. I think the fish numbers also have something to do with it. Need to find that again.

Nope, not a lecturer. :) But I do give software product demonstrations.

You always could have reintroduced it shortly before the move

maybe thats what happend...i left some stock with a guy and only fetched it a week later...his tank also quite old but i cant say if he wass w/s free before...

so does this mean i might have 8 more cycles to go threw..?

yebo.
but can stop in less than 10 cycles.
Also depends on tank temp. how fast each cycle will be.

Last edited:
Guys... Check this link out... Been watching NewYorkSteelo's vids for some time & I honestly think this guy know his stuff ! Also very helpful. Click this link & let me know what you think(one of his video's on white spot).
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/user/newyorksteelo#p/u/40/1YjZauddsEk"]newyorksteelo's Channel - YouTube[/ame]

Back
Top Bottom