White Spot or Velvet??

@magman I have as yet not used any snake-oils..
My Regal is sitting on top of the pumps....

My Scopas and Bi-color Blennie also has symtoms, but it looks more like fine spots than mucus layer. As my Pink Spotted Goby is white, I can not see anything on it.

I took out the Regal and the affected Clown(The other has no symptoms at all) and have them in another tank with only a heater and circulation pump that has been running for 2 weeks with water from my DT. I brought the salinity down to 1021, and plan on bringing it down further today.

What do I do next. What dip should I use, and where do I get it. If formalin, can I get that from a pharmacy?

Bud your only sure way to know what disease it is, is to have a scraping done. You then give the fish a best chance as correct treatment can be administered. At the moment you are shooting in the dark and applying any treatment is a hit or miss situation. In Gauteng their are three sponsors that have microscopes that can do a scraping for you. Exotic Aquariums, Vis Dam and myself. Not sure who can do for you in cape town.

Perhaps other sponsors that have this facility and knowledge should post here.

@magman I have as yet not used any snake-oils..
My Regal is sitting on top of the pumps....

My Scopas and Bi-color Blennie also has symtoms, but it looks more like fine spots than mucus layer. As my Pink Spotted Goby is white, I can not see anything on it.

I took out the Regal and the affected Clown(The other has no symptoms at all) and have them in another tank with only a heater and circulation pump that has been running for 2 weeks with water from my DT. I brought the salinity down to 1021, and plan on bringing it down further today.

What do I do next. What dip should I use, and where do I get it. If formalin, can I get that from a pharmacy?

I would take the fish to Trev like he kindly offered, I would not change the salinity, I know the guys at Ushaka have found lots of these strains are resitant to any salinity changes, also it can be lethal when adding meds to the water as a reduced salinity requires a much smaller dose, adding meds to hypo can be lethal.

Maybe take all the fish out and take them to Trev, if the fish are still eating and not too bad, then maybe try bath them and run them in seachem Paraguard, it is a much softer on the fish than the other meds I said, when I get new fish, I bath them in Paraguard, and even run them in it for a day or two before going in the DT.

Maybe try paraguard if you got another tank lying around, and run the fish in there for a few days, but run all the fish.

@Nemos Janitor If Meneer brings the fish to me I can pull a scraping from both and overnight them to you. Can you pm me the cost for using the microscope.

Trev

Trev it is a free service. I will be doing a scraping later today and will take a video and post this evening so that you guys get an idea.
Trev there must be a LFS that can do a scraping for you in CT. Let me make some enquiries for you.

I will be doing a scraping later today and will take a video and post this evening so that you guys get an idea.

Errr.... Hmmm.. Well i did go to our test/prototype QT landing facility this afternoon and expected to find a fish with MI or something. I am afraid no parasites visible at this stage. So good news for me. But as soon as i get a sick fish i will document the procedure for you guys.

Bud your only sure way to know what disease it is, is to have a scraping done. You then give the fish a best chance as correct treatment can be administered. At the moment you are shooting in the dark and applying any treatment is a hit or miss situation. In Gauteng their are three sponsors that have microscopes that can do a scraping for you. Exotic Aquariums, Vis Dam and myself. Not sure who can do for you in cape town.

Perhaps other sponsors that have this facility and knowledge should post here.
I have a microscope but don't have a clue what I'm looking for & how would one do a scraping? never tried it & haven't seen it done.

Good morning everyone

I have just had a quick squizz at the posts. Meneer, sorry you have an outbreak on your fish. It is never pleasant to deal with. Diagnosis via photograph is nearly impossible. I see you are in Cape Town. Can you bring one of your fish to me to have a look at?

Regards

David

Me again...

I can't view any youtube files on our system here. Our server won't access them. Do you have a clip that is small enough to email?

Meneer, live is best.

Regards

David

Good new bud. At least you know what you are dealing with and can go ahead with the correct treatment with confidence. :thumbup: Kill them buggers.

Back
Top Bottom