White Spot Issue...

Reaction score
Hello, been a while since ive posted. Anyways I have a little predicament atm. I have 3 Fish, 1 Yellow Tang, 1 Checkerboard Wrasse and 1 Green Wrasse which have been infected with Whitespot (added a impulse buy which caused this and will never repeat again...) Anyways all 3 have whitespot. I have a 70L constantly running which has a Convict Tang in it which i caught this season (2cm). Im considering quarantining all 4 fish in the 70L BUT im scared the stress will do more harm then good. What are your personal thoughts on the matter? Take into account ild have to leave them in there for 3-4 weeks so the Display Tank Ich can die off.

If you do have c.irritanz then qt is the only way to stop the parasite, you will need to qt and treat with copper besed meds, you will also need to leave the tank fishless for a minimum of 8-10 weeks.

Please ignore the garlic, low salinity myths that you might read, c.irritanz is a flesh eating parasite, you need to kill with copper.

Hi Storm

Cassim from Julies gave me "Sera Costapur" to put in my tank when I had white spot. Dosing depends on the size of your tank. Worked like a bomb and I have coral and nothing was affected

Hi Storm

Cassim from Julies gave me "Sera Costapur" to put in my tank when I had white spot. Dosing depends on the size of your tank. Worked like a bomb and I have coral and nothing was affected

How long has your tank now been white spot free?

Interesting, Sadly Dory is completely out of my way, so even to have a look @ the product or ship it down is going to be a headache. I guesse ile chance a QT.

The well-established treatment against Ichthyophthirius (white spot) and other skin parasites, such as Costia, Chilodonella and Trichodina, for fresh and saltwater fish. In case of an infestation with Ichthyophthirius scaleless fish (such as loaches and catfish), but also weakened fish, are especially in danger. Organic (e.g., humic substances) and inorganic (e.g., hardness builders) aquatic ingredients may influence the efficacy of the treatment. We therefore recommend effecting a partial water change before treatment.

sera costapur 50 ml :: Treatments and vitamins :: Freshwater Aquarium :: Sera USA

Ive spent alot on these so called miracle cures before. didnt work. Hence ild like to research before i buy. Dont have a endless supply in the wallet if u know what i meen.

The well-established treatment against Ichthyophthirius (white spot) and other skin parasites, such as Costia, Chilodonella and Trichodina, for fresh and saltwater fish. In case of an infestation with Ichthyophthirius scaleless fish (such as loaches and catfish), but also weakened fish, are especially in danger. Organic (e.g., humic substances) and inorganic (e.g., hardness builders) aquatic ingredients may influence the efficacy of the treatment. We therefore recommend effecting a partial water change before treatment.

sera costapur 50 ml*::*Treatments and vitamins*::*Freshwater Aquarium*::*Sera USA

If the treatment is strong enough to kill the parasitic invert, how can it not kill all the pod life or clean up crew in your tank? let alonwe the potential wipe out of all the bacteria in the live rock?

I am by no means a fundi on the subject,but to be honest I have always just raised my tank temp to 29 degrees when I see white spot and it just dies out.I have never lost a fish to it yet.The high temp speeds the life cycle and so it skips the reproductive stage and simply reaches its lifes end and dies out.I read it somewhere once and have done this ever since,never looked back....Both my convict tangs had it really bad the other day when i introduced them to the tank,now both are completely free of it.;)

If the treatment is strong enough to kill the parasitic invert, how can it not kill all the pod life or clean up crew in your tank? let alonwe the potential wipe out of all the bacteria in the live rock?

Mike I dont know why, but I will post pics this evening, it did not affect anything and the whitespot was gone in two treatments.

for how long did you raised your water temp (week or two )or just a couple of days

Is the whitespot really bad? I suppose you could put the 3 fish into QT, just a bit concerned about the YT and if he will survive or die from stress. We've seen small tanks with yellow tangs in, although it's not ideal and a bit cruel for the fish, but they have survived, in an emergency I would probably chance it.

for how long did you raised your water temp (week or two )or just a couple of days

My tank usually sits at about 27 to 28 degrees so I just turn the heater to 29 and let it climb.The last time I had white spot i did this and it was gone within 3 to 4 days.The fish are all doing well.This method has never failed me yet.:thumbup:

How big is your display tank again?
Posted via Mobile Device

sera costapur 50 ml*::*Treatments and vitamins*::*Freshwater Aquarium*::*Sera USA

Marine white spot is caused by a ciliate parasite called Cryptocaryon irritans and was only identified as a distinct parasite in its own right in 1951. Although the disease’s symptoms appear similar to freshwater white spot (Ichthyophthirius multifiliis) the two parasites are not very closely related and both need different husbandry and/or treatment regimes to prevent and resolve an outbreak.

My tank usually sits at about 27 to 28 degrees so I just turn the heater to 29 and let it climb.The last time I had white spot i did this and it was gone within 3 to 4 days.The fish are all doing well.This method has never failed me yet.:thumbup:
Bear in mind that when you increase the temp of your water, you also decrease the amount of oxygen in the water, so keep an eye on the livestock.

how often do you get white spot then?

Back
Top Bottom