Which LED? MAXSPECT R420R or Radion XR30W

Reaction score
Im stuck between these 2 led choices.
Starting a new 1.5 x 800mm x 600mm H mixed reef tank and cant decide which is better.
So Your input will be of most help.

Seen the maxspect perform and love them as they so easy to play with and really pump light.
Radion owners please help me out leaning towards getting 2 x radions but haven't seen them perform but the capability,features and different colours are fantastic.

I'm looking for power to grow sps. Not really concern about look.
So any info would be of great help.

Thanks all

Both of those will not cover a 800mm wide tank unless you hang them really high. The razor have quite narrow lenses, radion will give more spread front to back, but still not 800mm. Maybe someone @RiaanP can confirm this about the radions.

Last edited by a moderator:
the 800 is no issue my tank is 1800 by 800 by 700deep and i run 2 razor 160's on this tank so you will have a length issue as it will only cover about 850 of the 1500 length, I own 7 razors and swear by them in regards to value for money and providing growth

Personally i will go with the Radions.

I am going to be running a 1400x850x650 tank with two radions and it will have no problems to cover that dimensions.

The guys from Ecotech Marine stated that a radions coverage is 800x800

Also the radions are on a big special at the moment.

Drop me a pm about it.

the 800 is no issue my tank is 1800 by 800 by 700deep and i run 2 razor 160's on this tank so you will have a length issue as it will only cover about 850 of the 1500 length, I own 7 razors and swear by them in regards to value for money and providing growth

Cool, thanks for the correction. Do you have a side on shot of your tank somewhere? Would like to see what the spread is like.

Thats the reason im stuck between these two is because they cost nearly the same due to the special AD are running. My concern is not about 800mm because I will only vitalise 600 due the way ill be scaping. Im going for the minimalistic look.

Tank is 1500 by 750 by 750mm

RadionLightsatanangle_zps22f84e43.jpg

PlayStation 3 Rebooted - Page 9 - Marine Aquariums South Africa
post 164

and with the current cheap price on Radions, brand new with TIR lenses, it is a very attractive option

Cool, thanks for the correction. Do you have a side on shot of your tank somewhere? Would like to see what the spread is like.
Hi no side shot as my tank only has a front viewing pane and the back is a solid rock wall a FTS is not possible due to length ill post a pic now

I would go with the razors but only because of the results i have had with mine.

@RiaanP do you think I could get away with 2x radions?
Which give more growth between these 2? @Snoek Razor is good but need info to which works best

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm also considering going Radions because of its very low price and putting my 2x Maxspects up for sale.
The wireless connections with my 3x mp40 and 3x Radions will be classy.

Anyone interested in my 2 Maxspects? lol:whistling:

1.5 x 800mm x 600mm H
You can, depending on height of rock stack. And how high you mount them.
Mount too low or stack too high and you will see much more of an spot light effect, does not matter the make of led units. It depends on the optics used. 60 degree and less will result in spotlights. Where 90, 120 or more will give a much wider spread and less of a bright spot directly under the units.

I got 4 on a 1.5 by 750 by 750mm tank. But my rocks are stacked fairly high.

Imo Radions is everyones #1 choice, wat the killer was,was the price....compared to the very basic blue/white led unit Maxpect Razor...Radion offers a full spectrum which is 100% controllable to suit ur tank and needs...easily tweakable to ur corals needs and the wifi abillity to sync with ur pumps(if u own vortechs) is uncomparable to any other brand .... These units are just plain awesum and nw that the price is so cheap, I think most will now sway toward Radion... As I read in many threads before this is that most choose maxpect becoz of coverage Vs price..... Radions @ so cheap, doubt that'll be an issue :thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom