where to place my tube anemone? please help

Reaction score
Hi guys I bought a tube anemone from lifestyle pets on Saturday and I have placed it in the substrate as i was told to do, but it pulled itself out, I dug a trench out hi, in it and covered hi, with sand and he pulled himself out again I even created a burrow for him with PVC piping, put him inside, covered him with sand and he pulled himself out again, no he is currently hiding at the back of the tank on the surface of the substrate, please help me to figure out where to put this guy

Thanx

5750504456d38a6c3.jpg

5750504456d38fc60.jpg

Dee, it can take a while for them to acclimatise and settle to the new tank. it sounds like the nennie might be stressed so I would leave it as he is for a day and then tonight dig a deepish trench and place him there. The chances are that it will retract into his tube (good sign) and stay like that for a while, but if there are factors which a tube nennie doesnt like (too much flow for example) they have the ability to unbury themselves and move away.

He hasnt been in your tank that long, so give it time and just keep gently placing him into the substrate. I personally wouldnt use a pvc tube around it as the nennie will often want to place the back end of the tube is other directions in the sand and the plastic will stop that.

do keep an eye out for hermits irratating the back end of the tube if he is on the surface, that you def do not want.

Tube nennies create a slime coating which forms their tube and yours ciould have shed his (i cant tell in the photos) but will sectrete another in time.

just place it on the sand, with just the end point slightly covered. It will "plant" himself when he wants to. Be careful that the rockwork do not cut his body as that can be fatal. Important is that they do have long sweeper tentacles. And can fight with anything close by. They do not need light.

Keep in mind when you place him that they also grow very quickly. I fed mine small pieces of lance fish every second or third day and he grew enormous. Also the size that you see him during the day, they double that in size at night and as RiaanP has said, they have a viscious sting..... Any coral close to him will suffer.

thank you Helga will do, I dont have too man corals in my tank so ill find him a spot where there are none in close proximity to him/ her

Dee, do you know what to feed that nennie? With is not using light for photosynthesis, tubve nennies need to be fed. I feed mine rarely as if takes flakes and pods drifting in the water and I havent had to target feed it much, but i do chop up small pieces of fish, clams etc and drop it on to the sand near his tentacles every now and again.

i wouldnt feed your nennie now, let it acclimatise and settle, burry itself propperly and after a few days of it being in the sand try feed it.

out of interest how deep is your substrate, i couldnt tell from the photos?

Im planning to feed it pieces of mussel, as i do with my rose bubble tip, I did try to feed him the day i got him and the day after that but he didnt want to eat, and at that point I had him buried under the sand, its not very deep at all but i am planning to move sand from other parts of the tank towards the area where i am going to plant him, I do have one question though, I want him to be in the front of the tank so that he can be seen, how do i get him to plant himself in the front by the glass?!? But he seems to like the back of the tank more, im assuming because it has the least amount of flow, it would be sad if he planted himself at the back where no one could see him....

Place rocks around him, and make sure that there is no direct flow that can blow him out.

Just a little bit of sand just covering the endpoint slightly. Too much sand and he will feel claustrophobic and climb out.

that looks great Dee, although what we think is good for a nnnie isnt always agreed by the nennie:) I see its a beautiful colour with very long tentacles, watch where they go to once it settles as that nennie will take up a fair amount of space in your tank.

thanx Crispin, I read your thread on reefing ethics, and i do agree with your comments, and please as an experienced reefer, please tell me where i am doing wrong as i am fairly new to this hobby, but i am lucky to have had great success so far. Yes it is very beautiful, i just hope he is happy where he is, I will definately keep an eye on him and will re arrange my tank accordingly.

Thanx again for the advise

lol dee, if i thought there was something you were doing that was against the best intrest of the LS you keep, believe me Id tell you:) seems like your tank is doing great, i just hope that tube nennie settles soon and you get many years of enjoyment from it. Ive had mine a few years now and they realy are delightful tank mates :)

Haha, okay kewl, thanx, its really been the best investment ive ever made, lol yes i hope he is happy in that spot, one more thing i need to ask, will he only eat once he has opened up?!? or should i put food directly into his mouth?!?

Haha, okay kewl, thanx, its really been the best investment ive ever made, lol yes i hope he is happy in that spot, one more thing i need to ask, will he only eat once he has opened up?!? or should i put food directly into his mouth?!?
tube nennies use there tentacles to sting, immobilise and collect their food. once a prey item connects with the tentacle, they fire stings into it and fold it over into the mouth area. it needs to feed itself. a nennie shouldnt ever be force fed.

when the time comes to give it some food, just use some plastic tongs and hold the food item near the tentacles, once it takes hold release it and the nennie will do the rest:)

Okay thanx crispin, ill defnately follow that advise, ive have him good and healthy by the end of this week, thanx again to everyone who has commented, it has really helped alot, and i will post some pics of the anenome once he is all well and good:)

I had one like that. A shocking orange dayglo like in the 80ties leg warmers.

It just did not want to stay wherever. I just left it and it was just never happy. Then I found a small tear on the body, about 10mm. Must have been the reason why it was unhappy. I got others so I'm not inexperienced when it comes to tube anemones. It never recovered and eventually 2 weeks later died.

Back
Top Bottom