Whats your routine?

Reaction score
I would like to start a thread to get an idea of a reefers routine. I want to make myself a chart that I can tick off as I do maintenance as I have the memory span of a goldfish (a saltwater one)

Whether its checking parameters (daily, weekly etc.) to water changes, adding new carbon etc.

Thanks

Check/clean skimmer cup out every three to four days.
Top up sump with RO every three to four days.
Clean replace filter floss in my overflow every 3-4 days.
Water change weekly (5-10%) - I try keep this up but am lazy. Use this time to siphon out all the gunk.
Clean coralline weekly, no probs with other algae really
Change carbon every 2-3 weeks
Check and adjust alkalinity weekly.
Calcium add a bit monthly (softy only reef).
Maybe every 6 months or so clean all pumps properly

Last edited:
Daily:
- clean the glass front with magnet cleaner
- check temp of tank
- check health of all life-stock
- adding kalkwasser (my RO drips water the whole time into my tank)
- I check SG level every day - to ensure that I do not have problems with too much salt/too litle salt in the water - due to evaporation not always being the same - then adjust the dripping of my RO water into the tank....
- feed the fish

Weekly:
- check/clean skimmers (I have 2)
- remove any unwated nuisance algae that might have grown
- clean the coverings on the light-fittings
- clean the glass-front with blades (to remove harder algae that has grown)
- add a little bit of iodine/iodide
- check the health of my fish/corals - pick up any corals that might have been moved by the current in the tank or by my hermit crabs/fish
- check all of the water parameters (pH, calcium, alkalinity, nitrate - I only check nitrate/ammonia levels if I see that my corals are not looking too healthy)
- every 2 weeks to a month I do a water-change - usually between 10 and 15%

Monthly:
- water changes

3 to 6 Monthly:
- clean out skimmers (decently) removing all muck that has accumulated
- clean out pumps/power-heads
- change phosphate media and activated carbon/charcoal

Hi Clinton - yeah - I know - I will start my carbon changes more often. BUT I do not spesifically subscribe to doing a LOT of explicit water changes because I have to top up my water levels in ANY case, and remove water in any case when I clean out my skimmers every week (sometimes twice a week) - I run my skimmers very wet..... Once every 6 months or so I do a 50% water change on my tank....

Thanks! Think I can start my list. Can post it as a PDF when its ready if anyone wants

Great idea, just run it past Hennie (reef maniac) for final tweaks

Back
Top Bottom