What would you do with 1000+ litres?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in a quandary about what dimensions to build my DT.
Space is no issue, it will be sunlit so depth is no issue. +/- 1000 litres DT volume.
It will be a tang dominated mixed reef.

I've narrowed it down to a several options

1. 2.4 x 0.8 x 0.55
2. 2.1 x 0.8 x 0.65
3. 2.0 x 1.0 x 0.55
4. 1.8 x 1.0 x 0.65

My current system is 1.5 x 0.5 x 0.55, and the depth is limiting and a second build would give me chance to right the wrongs.

Let me know what you think?:yeahdude:

Last edited:
Why not 2x1x.65? Def following this one!

The closer to 1000l I can get the better, equip size, cost etc.

I'm intrigued by both deep and shallow tanks, that's what makes this such a difficult decision.
Have you any regrets choosing to go with a shallow tank? Your thread was a great read btw.

Ok I understand. I have no regrets with my tank. Have always liked a shallow tank, always wanted one that is viewable on all sides too.Thanks for taking the time to read my thread. It's a work in progress, lots still needs to happen in the glass box, but it's been exciting.

1. 2.4 x 0.8 x 0.55
I would go for this one, especially if you're going for a lot of tangs, they're big swimmers and I'm sure they would enjoy more length than height, considering fish seem to spend a lot more time swimming left to right than up and down. Especially if you want something like a Sohal tang or Clown tang, they can get big and the longer the tank the more suitable it will be for the bigger tangs. Maybe tweak it to something like 2.4 x .75 x .60(height)

Hi all,

I'm in a quandary about what dimensions to build my DT.
Space is no issue, it will be sunlit so depth is no issue. +/- 1000 litres DT volume.
It will be a tang dominated mixed reef.

I've narrowed it down to a several options

1. 2.4 x 0.8 x 0.55
2. 2.1 x 0.8 x 0.65
3. 2.0 x 1.0 x 0.55
4. 1.8 x 1.0 x 0.65

My current system is 1.5 x 0.5 x 0.55, and the depth is limiting and a second build would give me chance to right the wrongs. I assume those dimensions are lengthxwidth (front to back)x water depth?

Let me know what you think?:yeahdude:

when I approach a tank build i look at what I want to keep and work towards that as a goal. I like to have a plan set out and what the 'end tank' will look like. Then deseign the system (DT and equipment) towards that end.

If you have a tank which is deseigned to be Tang dominated (as in the big pretty fish we love to keep that needs lots of swimming space) as opposed to an SPS dominated system then your dimensions should work towards that as a goal.

If you want a certain vollume and have unlimited space then your option 2 ( 2.1x0.8x0.65) would be the best looking tank with regards to dimensions and proportions. Its also the deepest tank you list and thats important. If you are looking at making it Tang dominated then having a deeper tank is to your advantage (the fish will use the full depth of the tank and have a greater swimming area) although this would increase the required glass thickness and cost of the tank.

the first option is also good for tangs as you get a good 2.4m length, but i feel at 0.8 it will look a little thin and the proportions will be out slightly. Thus on a 2.4 i personally would look at pushing that to 1.0 width and slightly deeper (0.65) Obvioulsy that takes you over your restraint of 1000l mark, but a tank of 2.4x1.0x0.65 would look good and be better for the fish.

We build many tanks 2400 x 800 x 800 and 1800 x 800 x 800. Probably the two mst popular tanks. The cost difference is not that gret when moving from 10mm to 12mm glass.

A 1800 x 800 x 800 tank works out water volume to inside diameter.

1775x775x740= 1017L

Check out my softy tank. That is 1800 x 600 x 800 ( wl 740) it does not give adiquit space length and width wise for the Vlamingi tang but it does provide depth for coral growth.

I am in the process of redoing both my tanks. Both will be 1m and deeper. These shallow tanks become so limiting in time. IMO

Last edited:
Definitely following this build!

Based on experience and just finished my tank build I would go with option 4, more than welcome to post and see mine 2500x1000x600, it makes my 1500x700x500 sump look like a nano

I would go for this one, especially if you're going for a lot of tangs, they're big swimmers and I'm sure they would enjoy more length than height, considering fish seem to spend a lot more time swimming left to right than up and down. Especially if you want something like a Sohal tang or Clown tang, they can get big and the longer the tank the more suitable it will be for the bigger tangs. Maybe tweak it to something like 2.4 x .75 x .60(height)

The length of the side I wish to use is 3.6 but 3.6 x anything, will ruin the feasibility.
But I'm with you on the length of swimming space. I've already got a Naso and Tennetti which whilst small now will become big boys. And with the addition of a Achilles or Sohal I'll need it.

when I approach a tank build i look at what I want to keep and work towards that as a goal. I like to have a plan set out and what the 'end tank' will look like. Then deseign the system (DT and equipment) towards that end.

If you have a tank which is deseigned to be Tang dominated (as in the big pretty fish we love to keep that needs lots of swimming space) as opposed to an SPS dominated system then your dimensions should work towards that as a goal.

If you want a certain vollume and have unlimited space then your option 2 ( 2.1x0.8x0.65) would be the best looking tank with regards to dimensions and proportions. Its also the deepest tank you list and thats important. If you are looking at making it Tang dominated then having a deeper tank is to your advantage (the fish will use the full depth of the tank and have a greater swimming area) although this would increase the required glass thickness and cost of the tank.

the first option is also good for tangs as you get a good 2.4m length, but i feel at 0.8 it will look a little thin and the proportions will be out slightly. Thus on a 2.4 i personally would look at pushing that to 1.0 width and slightly deeper (0.65) Obvioulsy that takes you over your restraint of 1000l mark, but a tank of 2.4x1.0x0.65 would look good and be better for the fish.

I love that advice, the fact that I've already established the end use of my tank helps a lot.
But reverse planning the tank is brilliant as instead of adding bits on haphazardly the final idea is in place from the start. The only item of this which I don't like, as would many others is the wait.

Thx Crispin, good food for thought.

We build many tanks 2400 x 800 x 800 and 1800 x 800 x 800. Probably the two mst popular tanks. The cost difference is not that gret when moving from 10mm to 12mm glass.

A 1800 x 800 x 800 tank works out water volume to inside diameter.

1775x775x740= 1017L

Check out my softy tank. That is 1800 x 600 x 800 ( wl 740) it does not give adiquit space length and width wise for the Vlamingi tang but it does provide depth for coral growth.

I am in the process of redoing both my tanks. Both will be 1m and deeper. These shallow tanks become so limiting in time. IMO

Thx, Keith. I'll take a read through your thread now. I anticipate the tank having a few islands with quite a bit of swimming space so the height for coral growth is less of a concern, although I do want the odd SPS scattered around to give some variety as far as coral species goes.

Based on experience and just finished my tank build I would go with option 4, more than welcome to post and see mine 2500x1000x600, it makes my 1500x700x500 sump look like a nano

On review of the space available I've changed the specs a little. Now thinking along the lines of
2.1 x 0.9 x 0.65 (0.60wl). Width for the tangs, depth for better scaping capability and a little height for coral growth.

I took a read through your thread, I believe 2.5 x 1.0 x 0.6 tanks take ages to set up :tt2:
I want to pick your brain over the Orca stuff sometime.

Last edited:
It's not the size but work and DIY that make it longer
Sure

Pads, as a diver I cannot dive in 600mm of water. I am sure @dallasg might have the same challenge. :) My frame covering build makes that rather challenging. LOl and no cheep jabs guys.

This statement will no doubt attract a lot of opinions but..... 600mm deep tanks are not reef tanks they are marine foot spars:tt2:

What a pity coral and fish life preference has to compete with how easy it is to clean and maintain a tank. Just a thought to discard maybe. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Pads, as a diver I cannot dive in 600mm of water. I am sure @dallasg might have the same challenge. :) My frame covering build makes that rather challenging. LOl and no cheep jabs guys.

This statement will no doubt attract a lot of opinions but..... 600mm deep tanks are not reef tanks they are marine foot spars:tt2:

What a pity coral and fish life preference has to compete with how easy it is to clean and maintain a tank. Just a thought to discard maybe. :)

The question is, have you dived in anyones tank before?

The thought of cleaning a deeper tank never actually came to mind. God blessed me with height so its never really been a concern but you've now added an extra factor to consider. :p

I take it from your previous post that 800 height is your preference. This begs the question, isn't it a bugger to clean? Or I'll rather say does the effect outweigh the effort?

Last edited by a moderator:
Pads deep tanks have a few considerations.

1) they are more challenging to clean and service.
2) They require lighting that will punch through to the bottom of the tank.
3) Water movement needs to considered.
4) fish grow bigger.
5) Fish have more space to swim.
6) corals grow taller without outgrowing the tank.

Yes I have dived in a tank to Clean it.

Will see if I can find a pic of the tank for you. :)

If you want I can take you to view a few tanks so that you get an idea of what deeper tanks look like compared to shallow tanks. PM me your no if you are interested.

I will go with the longest tank possible. lengthwise. Plus the extra depth is awesome. Prefer depth over width as a big fish in a shollow tank looks out of proportion. Look at Achilles tank. He got some really big fish in there and due to the depth they still seems in proportion. But as you want Tangs, I would suggest more length that what he have.

Only problem is that on extra length and with corals it means more light units. And as LEDS are not cheap, it will mean extra units. Yeah, the units do overlap, but due to depth I do not think you can go wider that 60 degree optics. That would force you to space the LEDS closer to each other to prevent darker shades between units. OK, its depending on the rock stack height, but yeah, you need LEDS that punch deeper instead of wider. Same with MH units

So keep the extra light unit costs in mind, Even if it is sunlit. Winter with the sun more north and with shorter sun shine time, you will end up supplementing with lights. http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/member.php?u=1682

Pads can you post a pic of the room you would like to put the aqaurium in, we can give you a better idea knowing where the tank will be. I think this will be good size 2000 x 800 x 800 water level about 740 so you will have just over 1125 liters that excludes displacment of the over flow. You can then estimate that the rocks and substrate will displace about 10% so you have 1000L water volume. Just another idea:thumbup:

I will go with the longest tank possible. lengthwise. Plus the extra depth is awesome. Prefer depth over width as a big fish in a shollow tank looks out of proportion. Look at Achilles tank. He got some really big fish in there and due to the depth they still seems in proportion. But as you want Tangs, I would suggest more length that what he have.

Only problem is that on extra length and with corals it means more light units. And as LEDS are not cheap, it will mean extra units. Yeah, the units do overlap, but due to depth I do not think you can go wider that 60 degree optics. That would force you to space the LEDS closer to each other to prevent darker shades between units. OK, its depending on the rock stack height, but yeah, you need LEDS that punch deeper instead of wider. Same with MH units

So keep the extra light unit costs in mind, Even if it is sunlit. Winter with the sun more north and with shorter sun shine time, you will end up supplementing with lights. http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/member.php?u=1682

Noted. I was planning on supplementing the light with some blue to correct the yellow sunlight.
I may have to throw in some white for winter.

Yes I have dived in a tank to Clean it.

Will see if I can find a pic of the tank for you. :)

If you want I can take you to view a few tanks so that you get an idea of what deeper tanks look like compared to shallow tanks. PM me your no if you are interested.

Would love to see that tank, pic is fine too.

I'm busy with exams atm aka procrastinating, but I'll PM you once I'm done, should be the end of the month.

Pads can you post a pic of the room you would like to put the aqaurium in, we can give you a better idea knowing where the tank will be. I think this will be good size 2000 x 800 x 800 water level about 740 so you will have just over 1125 liters that excludes displacment of the over flow. You can then estimate that the rocks and substrate will displace about 10% so you have 1000L water volume. Just another idea:thumbup:

I'll take one shortly.

As requested. Area 3700 x 1850. We're installing another single sliding door where the new foundation is being dug. The tank will run lengthways from left to right. Fitting closer to the left wall. Another option is a tank 1600 x 1000 × 800 (wl 740), fitting along the left hand wall. Breaking a window/porthole into the adjoining lounge. Therefore viewable from both sides. Front and Back. Two concerns with that, orientation to the sunlight and the width for the tangs.

20130510_170352.jpg

Will you be removing the current glass door?

The tank will run lengthways from left to right. Fitting closer to the left wall.
Put a big box, or duct tape a lot of boxes together until you got that size. Put it in place and see if you like it, can you still walk past it with a tray in your hands without knocking the tank. This option the tank will stand in front of the new glass doors?

Another option is a tank 1600 x 1000 × 800 (wl 740)
Will allow a lot more passage area, or space to stand and admire the tank. Just the pots are in the way.

Back
Top Bottom