what type of glue.

Reaction score
What type of glue or putty can i use to glue some frags to rocks. My hermit keeps on knocking over the stuff and i cant remove the rock to do it outside the tank so i need to do it under water. Ive read some articles but i would like to hear what you locals use

Prepare the pratley steel putty as per directions and add it to the pieces you want to bond, press together and it will set. Takes a few hours to cure and full bond strength in about 24 hours. With the superglue gell, apply a blob and press down where you want it. Will stick in about 20 seconds (apply pressure) will cure in about an hour. Pratley for big pieces and the gell for small pieces like sps frags etc.

Make sure the rock you want to bond a frag to is as clean as possible. In other words not covered by algae etc. If it is clean with a tooth brush or the like in order to give it a clean place to adhere to.

If you heat the putty, after mixing it, in a microwave for a few seconds it sets much quicker.

Lastly, if it is a sps frag that is not attached to a base, use the superglue gell. If it has a base and is too big use the putty. I have however used the gell for fairly large pieces. Your skimmer may also go nuts for a while if you use too much putty.

Thamx mate. Will definitely give it a go. Its al small pieces so the gel will do just fine.

Pratley steel
The red packet.

Pratley Putty is not the same as Pratley Steel. Pratley Steel is a silverish liquid two part epoxy, that it is almost certainly toxic (it smells that way anyway). So Pratley Putty is the correct product.

You get Pratleys steel putty and steel epoxy. That is why I said Pratley steel putty. The Pratley steel putty work better than the normal putty in my experience.

Apologies for reviving an oldish thread. After using the putty and letting it set for 24hrs. Do you need to do anything else before putting it in the tank? Or is safe to put in?

Reactions: NJH
Apologies for reviving an oldish thread. After using the putty and letting it set for 24hrs. Do you need to do anything else before putting it in the tank? Or is safe to put in?

Nope you are good to go.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom