What size hole for 50mm overflow?

Reaction score
I'm planning on building two external overflow boxes on my new tank. I want to use 50mm pipe for the overflow. Should the hole then be 50mm or are the connectors bigger, say 52mm? I want the correct size drilled when I order the glass.

I have the same question with the return. What is the normal size of a return line for a 4000-5000 lph return pump, 25mm or 32mm? What should the hole size be for that?

Last edited:
Buy the fittings first before you drill the holes, or get the holes drilled.

Easiest for me was to buy the fitting from Idol Marine, while they were drilling the tank.

Simple and you know it will fit...

Thanks for the replies!
I had a look today and found a fitting that would seal properly (think it is called a bulkhead fitting)... problem is that is is only threaded on one side, so pipe can go down to sump, but nothing on the other side to connect the durso standpipe.
Searched on the internet today but couldn't find anything helpfull, except one thread on MASA where someone was using a male and a female adapter: one on each side of the glass and then they screw into each other. Is this the way to go? Where do I find a seal or o-ring washer for it?
Is there another type of connector that I just missed?

Go to Builders Warehouse or Chamberlain. Check the SWIMMING POOL section. Do not ask anybody for a bulkhead connection. Or mention PVC connections. They will sent you to the wrong places.

But check between the swimming pool stuf. There is a bulkhead connector that will work. White one side, famale slip and treaded male. With grey other part, female tread and female slip. With O ring. I use it on my plastic cryptic tank. And it can take the standpipe then on the inside.

Or, ask Idol Marine. They have a lot of connections

Back
Top Bottom