What seahorses are available in SA?

Reaction score
Greetings from Amsterdam,

I just wanted to know what species of seahorses are available to you there?

1: Are they true captive bred, net/pen/cage raised ones or wild caught ones?

2: Are you treating the net/pen/cage raised ones like wild caught ones & deworming them?

3: Do you mix different seahorse together? With or without QT them first?

4: Do you mix seahorses & pipefish together? With or without QT them first?

5: What live food do you have available to you?

6: Do you run chillers on the tank?

Kind Regards,

Tim

Last edited:
As far as I know there are no seahorse breeders here besides the knysna seahorse project & they are almost impossible to get. I've seen tiger tails around & as for pipefish Cape Town doesn't get to see any of them around but plenty for the rest of SA.
Live foods well besides brine we don't find much at LFS but sometimes we catch plenty of goggas on the coast.
I have never had a chiller in all of my years of fishkeeping as I never needed it as in summer all heaters are out & aircon comes on but now that my fishroom is almost done I recon I'll be needing 1 soon maybe do a DIY with the aircon.

As far as I know there are no seahorse breeders here besides the knysna seahorse project & they are almost impossible to get. I've seen tiger tails around & as for pipefish Cape Town doesn't get to see any of them around but plenty for the rest of SA.
Live foods well besides brine we don't find much at LFS but sometimes we catch plenty of goggas on the coast.
I have never had a chiller in all of my years of fishkeeping as I never needed it as in summer all heaters are out & aircon comes on but now that my fishroom is almost done I recon I'll be needing 1 soon maybe do a DIY with the aircon.

What is goggas?

Back
Top Bottom