what metal halide to get

Reaction score
hi guys, my new tank is 1.5 by 700wide and 800 deep, just want to know what metal halide to get , 150 or 250 w?

for that depth, 250 will be better

150w will be ok, but if you have any light demanding corals lower down then 250w would be better.

have just reasonaly started with polyps and purple mushrooms, have a carpet nennie, lights im using at moment is 3 54 wat 18000 and 12000 and actinic

With the carpet anemone I would recommend going with the 250w. Although I did have a carpet anemone in a 750 deep tank under 150w MH's and it seemed very happy. Are you going to put on 1 or 2 MH's?

Then I would go for the 250w so you can raise it bit higher to get a wider spread of light.

Not too sure which are the best or cheapest, I can remember Dorry Pets advertised some with the lumenarc reflector, have a look in their forum.

Then I would go for the 250w so you can raise it bit higher to get a wider spread of light.

Not too sure which are the best or cheapest, I can remember Dorry Pets advertised some with the lumenarc reflector, have a look in their forum.
can you send me a pic of that metal halide, think i ill go for the 250 w then,

Burt contact Frans at Dorry Pets - they have a REALLY nice 250watt MHunit that isnt to badly priced

Hope the chaeto is goin well :), i would also say 250W but i would reccommend getting auto top off kit aswell cus that 250W is gnna bake, i actually have an outdoor 250W metal halide spotlight, if interested PM me and ill send u some pics

thanks chaeto is doing well thanks, did pm you let me know what bulb you have in it to

what about the radiant ls154-floodlight-die-cast-outdoor 150 w
That can work, the advantage with that one is you have the control gear and reflector/pendant all in one, simply plug it in and it works. I have used one of these exact same ones before, their spread of light isn't too bad, you will have to run it sideways though, sort of left to right if you know what I mean.

Most guys seem to use the BG32, but then you need to buy the control gear separately and wire it up and mount this fitting into a hood somehow, can involve a lot of DIY.
BG32.jpg

can you send me a pic of that metal halide, think i ill go for the 250 w then,
http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=13977

from all the reading and understanding, that a 10000k bulp would be best
If you are going to run your 18000 and 20000K T5's then that will be fine. Should give you nice whitish/blueish colour to the water.

ok thanks guys, one question, hours on the metal halide per day? befor switching off

Mine are on 8 hours a day, but you can have it anywhere between 6 and 12 hours a day, it's up to you.

best place ive found in cape is 'lamp house' in montague gardens, otherwise sams aquarium, their prices are a bit high but they usually have everything in stock, oh and the unit i have has a normal industrial metal halide bulb(osram somthing, about 6000k, single ended, not great for coral colour but good for overall coral growth)

Back
Top Bottom