what is that!!

Reaction score
58744f60940360724.jpg

spotted at a LFS was just wondering what it was, some sort of sponge i think

Last edited:
Its a blue sponge Haliclona spp., a few guys here had it take over their entire tank, if its the same one. Nice but not worth it taking over and smothering all your corals. @Alan can confirm.

Last edited:
Its a blue sponge Haliclona spp., a few guys here had it take over their entire tank, if its the same one. Nice but not worth it taking over and smothering all your corals. @Alan can confirm.

thanks for the reply it looks realy good :(, didnt i meet you at perkys a while back you were collect a nennie?

thanks for the reply it looks realy good :(, didnt i meet you at perkys a while back you were collect a nennie?

Yes thats right, you were looking for a skimmer iirc?

Last edited:
Blue sponges are getting a bad rap!!

I have a plating type of blue sponge which is just gorgeous, had it for over a year now. Does it smother other coral? Im sure it does, its just growing out. So have enough space for it. The problem with sponge is that it gets into every crevasse in the rock, so you will have a problem removing it.

Keep it clear of your permanent rock work and you should have no trouble. Mine sits on a big rock which is separate from the main reef and looks awesome. It is definitely not the same as the one in the pic though

Last edited:
@rakabos that does look nice.
@Dane G, I know where you saw that, if you do decide to go for it, just make sure you leave it there for a few days before you purchase it. Sponges tend to not do well there for some reason.:whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
Rakabos? you are going to curse that sponge given time, it seriously takes over and is not worth having IMO. it is a photosynthetic sponge and can be exposed to air with no issues.

Respectfully,, from my own experience, i completely disagree. If its on a separate rock or even on the gravel you wont have a problem

Rakabos? you are going to curse that sponge given time, it seriously takes over and is not worth having IMO. it is a photosynthetic sponge and can be exposed to air with no issues.
Agreed! I have it in my tank and it's rearing its ugly head everywhere. One of the local reefers gave it to me. He bought it from someone in JHB. I thought it was you.... obviously not though.

yip thats right, eventually picked up a second hand TS4

So when are we gonna see pics of the build and not just the skimmer?;)

@Dane G, I know where you saw that, if you do decide to go for it, just make sure you leave it there for a few days before you purchase it. Sponges tend to not do well there for some reason.:whistling:
@2time
something wrong with that LFS? because when i was there i saw dead fish in the tanks, bubble coral that had its exo-skeleton showing nennies that looked like soup on the bottom of the tank, didnt look very lekker. but before that everything was fine very nice looking LS, rock and equip was crappie but VERY nice looking LS

Last edited by a moderator:
@Dane G, lots of people would advise one not to buy there coz the live stock are not healthy but Ive seen some decent stock there and a lot of it with way better prices then everywhere else(except for corals) but not always healthy stock. 90% of the fish I've bought there(although I haven't bought a lot) survived. So if buying there its best to check the fish out and make sure its not showing signs of anything and always quarantine. Ok one should do that and quarantine from wherever you buy, I learnt that the hard way.

Last edited:
So when are we gonna see pics of the build and not just the skimmer?;)

i want to have fish in before i even think about a thread(after the cycle ofcourse) get a lekker stock pile of pictures then post for all the pic *****s:tt2:

Back
Top Bottom