What calcium supplement to use?

Ditto! I switched off my Carx and stared dosing the way you do Alan.
All of my SPS seem be happy, excellent growth, and coralline growing like it is going out of fashion.
How long have you been dosing this way Mek?Do you only dose once a day?I have noticed that the corraline had increased dramatically since dosing manually as well. Why did you stop with the reactor?

How long have you been dosing this way Mek?Do you only dose once a day?I have noticed that the corraline had increased dramatically since dosing manually as well. Why did you stop with the reactor?
The Carx only ran for about 2 weeks until the Co2 was finished Andreas, I've been dosing manually before and after the the Carx was hooked up. Yip the coralline is growing wild, infact its being a pest as it is plating and fighting the corals that are encrusting on the rocks.

1.5 teaspoons daily keyaam.

Ok, so I bought SlakedLime today....calcium demand low, just need to get my rocks good colour! You mentioned 1.5 teaspoons, but suppose I DRIP it daily, how many teaspoons in a 2l bottle ro water?

Zee add the kalk to the ro water shake it up then let the powder settle and drip the clear liquid into the tank.

Er jst hijackin this 4 a moment,
I was at my chemist around the corner, and there'S a million things wit Ca and Ca wit Mg and vit e, a, f, c, z and all that jazz.
How abt a name of the product. But couldn't fine Ca-hydroxide
Thanks.
Sorry 4 jackin the thread...

I personally use kalk water to top up any evaporated water instead of using just ordinary RO water. So I mix 2 heaped t-spoons of Slaked lime into 5ltr of RO water. Shake and leave to settle for 5 hours. I then Siphon off the clear (ish) water in the middle into another container that I then drip at night when my DT lights are off. This is to minimise the PH swing. I then top up the original container with RO and use it once more before starting a new bottle with new Slaked lime.

Ok I started this process lastnight, I dont know if its just me but my corals looking better?I must add that Cape Coral Liquid Calcium appears more diluted.

Anyway can anyone explain why after shaking and leave to settle, theres still some solid powder at the bottom...I`m advised to use only the clear (ish) water, but is the calcium not at the bottom aswell?

i think because the water becomes saturated with kalk that it cannot dissolve anymore and the rest settles at the bottom. so just take the saturated water

Zee add the kalk to the ro water shake it up then let the powder settle and drip the clear liquid into the tank.

Very correct Tony. But one tip. Do not drip the solution into your tank. Reason. The Kalk saturated solution, as soon as the drip comes into contact with the atmosphere it gets into contact with CO2 and binds to the carbon (Explanation simplified), so as soon as it touches the tank water it precipates. For those that do not know that is the white substance that you see in the tank water after each drop hits the water. If you dose the drip method all your Kalk ends up in the skimmer or substrate or worse still in your nitrifying filter media causing detritus/carbon buildup.

However if the drip tube is submersed in the water the Kalk solution will not come into contact with CO2 and the Calcium will not precipitate.

So test the drip rate then make sure that the supply tube is submersed in the water. Now all that calcium will enter the water column.

Anyway can anyone explain why after shaking and leave to settle, theres still some solid powder at the bottom...I`m advised to use only the clear (ish) water, but is the calcium not at the bottom aswell?

The gist of it is that the powder at the bottom is no longer calcium hydroxide but is a form of (calcium) carbonate. In short throw it away. IMO

The gist of it is that the powder at the bottom is no longer calcium hydroxide but is a form of (calcium) carbonate. In short throw it away. IMO
If I may add, dosing that left over calcium carbonate will increase Ca but drop the Alk in your system.

If I may add, dosing that left over calcium carbonate will increase Ca but drop the Alk in your system.

DAM! lol no wonder my alk levels dont climb so leka with kalk:)thanks guys i really did not know this!thought the left overs would help alk levels also...

Guys. Kalk will only form calcium carbonate if exposed to the air or CO2 to be more exact. If the kalk is added to a bottle with water that is sealed this will not happen just like a kalk stirrer. The kalk can be used a few times if prepared properly

So the best is to dose with Kalk water, directly into the sump with out the drops being exposed to air. It would be exposed a little while mixing and syphoning. Then adding a teaspoon or so of Bi-carb directly to the sump daily to maintain ALK? Would this be the best to maintian both levels?

Geeee wizzzz...Hectic hey, so you reefers went through alot hey....I`m feeling bad now...:(Starting marines and just riding to the wave of success. This site is the best hey for sure!!:thumbup:

My cousin is a doctor and asked him yesterday where can I find iodine, and all that trace element stuff in its concentrate form, big ups to all the manufacturers,but marines keeping can put a huge hole in your pocket if you havent found this site!!Thats for sure.

Back
Top Bottom