water for new tank

Reaction score
Need some advice. My total water needed for my dt and sump is about 350l.
Why cant I use normal salwater collected from sea.
What would a marine ro unit put me back as I reckon long term that would be cheaper.
lfs saltwater will put me back 1k.

Im confused? And probably should not be saying this but spend R1599 on our 4 stage AquaPure extreme units and save you loads in the future. Remember you always need RO for top up

Not necessary buy by us but please do your research and sums.
Use us or the @TheWaterboy insist on dow filmtec membrane

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks rian. Then normal seawater will be my best option.then I can buy a marine ro unit instead of spending that on lfs saltwater.
thanks andre. Yes I need to invest in a ro as I will always have to use for top up.

I only use NSW :)

Last edited:
For water changes as well yes.

It is kept in a 200l drum outside in a shaded area with a cover and before use gets tested for nitrite and if you are particular about nutrients as your tank is purely display well then you would test it for nitrates etc. I dont keep track of how long, but sometimes it can be long enough to start a slight algae film inside the drum and that normally happens when it is almost empty. Probably time related. The little bit containing the algae is used to clean the sides and bottom with and gets chucked away. Then its time for a refill.

Last edited:
can use NSW,

BUT

depends on where you collect it. Be sure its far away from polluted areas. No Red Tide, or recent shipwrecks nearby.

Storing it is not a good option either. Falsebay got lots of nutrients in the tank, and storing it without sufficient water movement or at another temperature level and you will get bacteria dying off. That must impact the oxygen levels amongst other things in the water. Rather use NSW as soon as possible.

Plus I do not know what will happen to the cold Cape Town water if you do water changes with that in a tank running at 25 degrees. Starting up a system, allowing the bacteria that do not like the higher temperatures to die out, cycle and be eaten up. That means a cycle period that starts with a lot of die off. But it is the same as rock that just got imported, with a lot of dead matter on and in it.

yes dont think it would be an issue too. As i would have lots of die off on live rock as well. i still need a lfs in my area to get some nice small pieces of liverock in anyways. So no rush

You cannot store NSW for 2 or 3 weeks.
First, there is no water movement, limited oxygen exchange. Most likely kept in a closed up drum. There are living bacteria inside, plus some algae and nutrients. Without light, the algae dies. The bacteria got short term enough food, until they run out. The water would seems to be OK, but is it really?

The biofilm developing on the insides of the drum, does indicate a cycle process starting. New bacteria is colonizing and growing on the sides of the drum. How far into the cycle you do not know, unless you test ammonia, PO4, Ni2 and Ni3.

To start off a new tank with NSW is "OK". Provided you did start from a unpolluted source. Cape Town waters are a bit high in nutrients but that would be sorted during the cycle process. But to use NSW for water changes, after you left it in some drum unattended for 2 or 3 weeks are risky. Rather use it as soon as possible. How do you preserve ALL forms of life in that drum, without providing circulation, light or food?

Between East London and Cape Town is a lot of difference. East London you still have the Indian Ocean sweeping down. Not as cold waters as Cape Town either. Sure, some microscopic life will be the same, but there will be a lot that differs. Cape Town got nutrient rich waters washing up from the south.

Yes. You can use NSW. But do not store it.

Storing synthetic salt is OK, unless its a white drum and sunlight do fall on it or in a brightly lid area. Algae will eventually form inside it.

You cannot store NSW

You can. You either use it immediately or store it for a few weeks in a sealed container out of the sunlight. After a while everything dies and settles to the bottom, leaving you crystal clear water. Just dont use the last little bit at the bottom.
In terms of the water adding extra nutrients to the tank ... isnt that what we do every time we feed?

After a while everything dies and settles to the bottom
Yip, so the cycle completed. Then its OK to use the top layer. Not the last bit.
Question, OK, I'm in Gauteng so always used synthetic salt. How long does it take since collecting, for everything to die and settle at the bottom? For the cycle to complete in your tub.

Yes, the extra nutrients is not a problem, as the bacteria inside the drum would hopefully consume it. Question is, how long until they run out of food and become part of the settlement at the bottom? No nutrients and the process would be faster. Lots of food available and it should take longer.

So, if you store it, when will it be OK?

Back
Top Bottom