Water flow (power-heads) to use for reactors

Reaction score
Hi just want to know what flow I should put through the two Two Little Fishies reactors the one has seachem phosgaurd in and the other has purigen in and need to get powerheads for the what flow rate would you sugest.

120 - 200 litres per hour is recommended by the manufacturers. So if you can get a pump that does between 500 and 1000 lph, that should be fine considering head loss etc.

You don't need huge flow, basically the smallest pump that will fit your reactor.

Pete - I hope you don't mind - I just changed the title of the thread to something more understandable.

I would say go for a power-head of at least 400 litres per hour, because taking into account that the media might compact at some stage, and that you need the extra "water push" to ensure that the water actually comes out of the reactor. I run a 500 litre per hour on my phosphate reactor, and after the 2nd or 3rd day after replacing the media, the water trickles out (it only runs "strong'ish" for the 1st 3 days or so).....

Thanks jacquesb dont mind at all thanks for the input would you just put the purigen in the reactor or in a filter sock

well i met this guy at a LFS in joburg and he puts his purigen in one of those powerheads that have the filter thingy attached to it. 1500l/h and he hasnt got a sump or a dsb. just a canister. 600l tank 1 year old with nemies in it and the works!

Thanks jacquesb dont mind at all thanks for the input would you just put the purigen in the reactor or in a filter sock

Put the purigen in a canister filter, it needs as much contact with water as possible. Hang it in your sump.

A phosphate reactor is much more efficient than a filer sock in a cannister, get a proper reactor if you can.

Hey wee-man have got 2 x two little fishies reactors the one I am putting phosgaurd in and in the other I want to put purigen but question is the purigen sould I put it in a filter sock then in the reactor or should I just put it in like that, another question is what size power head would you put through that

Back
Top Bottom