Water cooled MH

Reaction score
I have found a company that sells water cooled metal halide units in the UK.
What's cool about this is that you can put a really huge wattage such as 400W over your tank without having to install a chiller.
If I can bring some over would anyone be interested?

i really curious as to how it would work.....does water pass through a layer below the light and disperse the heat ?????????

price pls.cant say anything yet.

cool

HHHmmmm - ok... I would think that if you want a 150 watt metal halide, YOU WILL BUY ONE. This means, you buy a 400 watt, and get the lighting of a 150 watt out of it.......

Sorry mate - If you want one - by all means.... but, I would rather buy a 150 watt metal halide, and get 150 watt of lighting output - AND not have heating problems....

The water will cause you to loose at least 50% of the lighting power....

My opinion though.

Hear what you're saying - would be completely pointless if you lost too much light through the water but no appaently you don't lose anything from the water around the globe - so a 400watt globe will be the same as a 400w globe without the cooling.A pump pumps water through a thin tube around the globe cooling it.The globe is completely cool to the touch.
Water and air cooled MH units are widely used in hydroponics.
With a few mods I'm sure they could be used for tanks.
Want to speak to the manufacturer so if I have a few other people interested I could maybe bring a few over. A 400w unit and a chiller is going to cost around 10k so if I can get something that does the same job for 5k what a bonus
Just an idea really at the moment

Come on Jacquesb I know money is not an issue for you even in these times - your tank is bigger than my house ;)

interesting, would that work with std bulbs or are they special?

I don't think you would loose much at all? the lights going through what, say 20mm of water, that doesn't have the reflection of the water surface of our tanks (I think) then into our tanks, which is +-600mm deep, I think it should be fine....doubt we would loose much, maybe I'm wrong too?:whistling:

It works with standard bulbs.
According to the manufacturer you lose nothing.
They obviously recommend that you use RO or (I think it was) distilled water in the reservoir.
Obviously if you use water from your fish pond in the garden it's a different story

Back
Top Bottom