Wanted:Kent Marine Magnesium

Reaction score
Hey Guys

I'm struggling with briopsis and apparently "kent magnesium" have
a impurity that work well on briopsis.
I have raised my Mag to 1600ppm with Epsom salts with no results.
Any sponsors out there that stock this?

Thanks

Just a word of caution.

If your MG is already at 1600. getting kent magnesium will only raise it even more.

also raising magnesium high is also not a sure fire way to get rid of bryopsis, especially if there is plenty of nutrients available to the algae, especially if its in the rocks its growing on

Just a word of caution.

If your MG is already at 1600. getting kent magnesium will only raise it even more.

also raising magnesium high is also not a sure fire way to get rid of bryopsis, especially if there is plenty of nutrients available to the algae, especially if its in the rocks its growing on

I'm never a fan of chemical fixes to problems in our tanks...I always try a natural solution and/or find the route cause of the problem and attack that.

However that being said and having had MAJOR Bryopsis issues at the end of last year, I am now a firm believer in Kent Magnesium and as a sure fire cure for Bryopsis. I dont know whats in there and why it works...some of the experts even say its not the actual magnesium itself in the product, but an additive in it...but it works!

I tried everything to start off with natural method wise - supposed livestock that ate bryopsis, manual removal, low nutrients, reduced lighting periods, other magnesium products...magnesium over 1600ppm...test kits couldnt even read my magnesium levels anymore it was so high...and nothing was working.

I eventually got hold of my sister in the UK and got her to buy me a bottle of Kent Magnesium as its pretty much impossible to find in SA...I received it mid December and after 3 weeks of daily dosing bryopsis had completely died off and I am now bryopsis free.

Raising magnesium levels high is risky and throws your whole water chemistry out of balance...it also resulted in the death of most of my snails...but dont ever underestimate the evil of Bryopsis...it gets its roots deep into your rockwork and no amount of trying to manually remove it helps...actually makes it worse cause it releases spores and causes the problem to spread...a la aiptasia!

At the peak of the bryopsis outbreak...

http://www.reefclips.net/masaimagespro/di/JIGH/img-4670.jpg
http://www.reefclips.net/masaimagespro/di/TT7P/img-4673.jpg
http://www.reefclips.net/masaimagespro/di/LEDE/img-4674.jpg

No doubt there is something about kent magnesium that might get the job done, the worry i have is his Mg levels are already sitting at 1600ppm.

So the question now is to raise it further to get a decent concentration of kent product to be effective and if so how far is enough?

Or does he do water changes to lower the mg and then re-raise the mg levels. and if this route is followed how much strain will it put on his system?

No doubt there is something about kent magnesium that might get the job done, the worry i have is his Mg levels are already sitting at 1600ppm.

So the question now is to raise it further to get a decent concentration of kent product to be effective and if so how far is enough?

Or does he do water changes to lower the mg and then re-raise the mg levels. and if this route is followed how much strain will it put on his system?

Epsom salts doesnt seem to work...apparently too pure a form of magnesium...I think this is where the theory that there is an additive in the Kent product that kills the Bryopsis comes from.

My magnesium was also sitting at over 1600ppm before I started dosing with Kent...I never did any water changes from the time I started trying to remove the bryopsis until after it was completely gone.

I dosed 1 capful each morning for 3 weeks...its not an instant cure, it does take time...bryopsis will gradually die off over the course of the dosing, until you can manually remove it easily in big chunks from the system and the tufts that are left on the rocks will disolve.

I did loose some snails...high magnesium apparently has a negative effect on the...and I lost a couple of my sps pieces...at the end of the day I think it was worth the minor losses to rid myself of the bryopsis as I was getting to the point of calling it a day it had got me feeling so defeated.

Hi Guys

Tried Lifestyle Pets and they don't stock Kent anymore!

Does anybody know of any pet shop that stock Kent products?

Kind Regards

I heard that kwnt has changed their name to CONTINUUM?.
Not sure...but will PM you a place where they sell kent

Back
Top Bottom