Wanted: Glass air stones

Well he mustve been very weak :lol: .... I ran my ozone openly for 6mnths with myself ,my wife and 2kids in the house, one could smell it strongly in the air and yeah,we all ok ;) ....it took for a friend and fellow reef guru to come in one day and tell me that I shudnt expose myself or any1 to it for long term else nausea and headaches can occur and google searchs confirmed the side effects, luckilly I ran it only 2hrs a day and in a well ventalated area

I work with it on almost a daily bases at the WWTWs - trust me it is dangerous stuff. It eats away at your lungs etc. It is really corrosive stuff. Perhaps the quality of the 03 produced by aquarium units is so bad it doesnt really do much?

I work with it on almost a daily bases at the WWTWs - trust me it is dangerous stuff. It eats away at your lungs etc. It is really corrosive stuff. Perhaps the quality of the 03 produced by aquarium units is so bad it doesnt really do much?

Ofcourse you do ;)

Why are you adding O3?

been using for months henk hugo, but mine travels through a ozone reactor, will be trying to see how a skimmer compares it to a airstone

Are you going to experiment with an Undergravel System..? Had no idea what an Glass Airstone was used for in Saltwater..:blush: then I Googled...;)...is this it...?
http://www.tricker.com/prod-p-glassairstone

That will work, again, thanks for your surfing skills!

Why dont you try one of those wooden airstones... They release extremely fine bubbles & im sure they wont oxidize from the O3...
Only know of one petstore that still sells them. Will pm you if youre interested.

Yes, please pm me

yes you do get them. called glass bead airstone. Hagen is the supplier. Its a product from ELITE. Hagen is the distributor located in Durban, but you can get your LFS to order you one if they are registered dealer with Hagen.

or else get it from eba

glass airstone | eBay

Thanks bud!

Ok let's start from the beginning .... You wana add ozone right???

1.You cannot add ozone directly to the tank
You can, as long as it's not in the DT, O3 converts very rapidly back into O2.
2.You need a reaction chamber hense ozone reactor/skimmer
Not a necessity, again depends on your system
3.Skimmer must be ozone friendly.
Definetely, but use a rector rather
4.You need to run carbon inline with reactor/skimmer to remove excess ozone from entering water coloum
Wrong, again dependant on system and how much you run
5.For most effectiveness use an air dryer before ozone
Depends on what type of generator you use. Corona discharge machines need driers, they are the cheapest and most accesible ones. Then there are the cold plasma ones, no air dryers there, but very expensive and the third type is the UV discharge, very poor manufacturer of O3 and no dryer needed.
6.Best hooked up and controller by a MV controler
Rather a ORP controller.;)
So end result is, I doubt an airstone is gna even be necesary.....
In my case, for experimental usage, I will need it, but thanks for your advice.

@HenkHugo, for water clarity, not for disinfection or sterilization, I know one needs at least 600 Millivolts to kill bacteria/virus/parasites

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol:
I know how O3 is dangerous, you should see what it did to my reef octo skimmer, it still works, but discoloured it totally, I don't run it on a timer, but rather on a SAGA orp controller. Run it at 375mv. My sump has a chamber that is air sealed with dosing holes, want to add a air stone to this chamber that is controlled with a external clip, so I clamp down on the pipe. Would like to see how it affects the ORP in my tank. since my new tank is up and running, it's very hard for me to reach my level of 375mv I had in my old tank and I know that is related to water volume, but also don't want to run my machine so long. I have been going through silica beads like a kid in a candy store (especially in this humid weather we are having in Jhb).
Changing my corono discharge tube is expensive, as I have one that must handle about 5psi because my reactor is pressurised. I think many don't realise how quickly their ozone machines stop functioning if they are exposed to humidity.

I have some laaaaaaarge planted tank CO2 defusers from my old 2.5m planted tank - want me to send one up to you?

:lol:
I know how O3 is dangerous, you should see what it did to my reef octo skimmer, it still works, but discoloured it totally, I don't run it on a timer, but rather on a SAGA orp controller. Run it at 375mv. My sump has a chamber that is air sealed with dosing holes, want to add a air stone to this chamber that is controlled with a external clip, so I clamp down on the pipe. Would like to see how it affects the ORP in my tank. since my new tank is up and running, it's very hard for me to reach my level of 375mv I had in my old tank and I know that is related to water volume, but also don't want to run my machine so long. I have been going through silica beads like a kid in a candy store (especially in this humid weather we are having in Jhb).
Changing my corono discharge tube is expensive, as I have one that must handle about 5psi because my reactor is pressurised. I think many don't realise how quickly their ozone machines stop functioning if they are exposed to humidity.

Add a second unit and I'm sure you will reach your target figure :)

Back
Top Bottom