Wannabe from Petoors

Reaction score
Hi,

My name is Hein. I recently decided to get a fishtank. I bought a second hand AquaH2O 120 tank (1200mm (L) x 450mm (W) x 500 (H)). I've had the tank for about a month now (I bought it with the fish and everything) and have decided I want to go marine... (FOWLR for now, maybe reef later)

Any ideas of where to start with the conversion? I've done quite a bit of reading up, etc. I suppose the first thing I'll have to do is to get a sump in place. I do not have a sump or an overflow at the moment. I'm thinking of putting in an overflow box.

What I have at the moment:
1 x tank (with standard hood and lighting)
1 x cabinet underneath tank
1 x 700l/h canister filter (planning to replace with sump)
1 x 2,000l/h powerhead
1 x heater
A few other things

Hein

Welcome to MASA.

Bud the news i am going to tell you is not good. But please consider very carefully. The H20 tanks are very prone to braking on the curved corners. Here is a read of some of the guys on MASA experiences. There are other threads on the subject and i am sure guys that have been through the experience will let you know.

AquaH2O 150 - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Hello and Welcome Hein
Where in Pretoria are you?

First bit of advice, first time you go to LFS (Local fish store), leave your wallet at home. You can thank me later.

Hi guys

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Nemos, after I bought the tank I read that they are prone to breaking (I think I read the thread here on MASA). So I got it insured straight away... I know that won't stop it from breaking and all the hassle that would involve. I also advertised it straight away (thought of selling it and getting a different tank), but I haven't had any calls. So it will just have to do.

I suppose that is what happens when you rush in... But I've learnt my lesson. That's why I've been doing all the reading up before taking the next step.

Riaan, I'm in the Lynnwood Glen/Faerie Glen area. I've been to the fish store a few times (to buy food for my freshwater outjies) - I'm not going to rush buying anything. I've learnt my lesson with the tank. Thanks for the advice.

Hi guys

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Nemos, after I bought the tank I read that they are prone to breaking (I think I read the thread here on MASA). So I got it insured straight away... I know that won't stop it from breaking and all the hassle that would involve. I also advertised it straight away (thought of selling it and getting a different tank), but I haven't had any calls. So it will just have to do.

I suppose that is what happens when you rush in... But I've learnt my lesson. That's why I've been doing all the reading up before taking the next step.

Riaan, I'm in the Lynnwood Glen/Faerie Glen area. I've been to the fish store a few times (to buy food for my freshwater outjies) - I'm not going to rush buying anything. I've learnt my lesson with the tank. Thanks for the advice.

Good,
I'm in Moreleta Park. Let me know, you are more than welcome to come around.
PM me if you want to.

I know....:)
so says my wife...

Back
Top Bottom