vicky

Hi guys got me a mandarin fish and some frog spawn yesterday,watching them very closely hope they do well.

Vicky - congrats with the purchase. BUT, as you 100% sure that your tank will be able to sustain the mandarin? Manderin's generically eat only live foods/pods - and one manderin can decimate a small tank's pods population..... Then, after there's no more pods - the manderin will most probably starve to death....

Thanks,my tank is 1.8m with about 800l water and about 150kg of LR.How would you make sure there are enough pods for the mandarin.There are plenty swimming around right now but obviously not for long as you said.

Thanks I will.My bubble tip nennie took a stroll to the bottom of my tank and nestled under a rock is this normal ?

Hey guys,my existing sump sits below my display tank and it is a nightmare to get anything done down there.I would like to build a new one that is more friendly to work with.Does anyone have any tips,drawings and size on how to design a new one ? My display tank has about 800l of water and is 1.8m long.I'm thinking of placing next to the tank on a smaller stand.The glass partion between the dsb and skimmer broke today.

Simple, buy a 3 or 4 foot tank and put 2 partitions in so that you have 3 chambers. 1 = skimmer, 2 = DSB, 3 = return pump. Get as big a sump as possible and make the DSB area as big as possible as well. You can also add chaetomorpha algae on top of the DSB - you will need to add very fine sand with your current sand to get it 15cm deep. You need to do it slowly as it can cause another small cycle.

Forgot the pic, here is mine - still cycling :p and need to add chaeto...

4644991dcd5378c1.jpg

Thanks for the info TOBES i think i'll go for that set up, my existing sump also looks close to yours and it works fine.:thumbup:

Tobes, just a question, unless you have an auto top-up, why else must the last chamber be that big?

Even without a auto top-up, what is wrong with using the space above the DSB for the flactuations because of water evaporation?

Looking at your sump, you could have had another extra 25% DSB? Now it is just space.

The reason for a larger return section is to cater for the water return when the pump turns off.just a kind of safety net, also it holds enuff water to stop ur return from running dry, well that's why my return is large
Posted via Mobile Device

Well I just use the whole area above the DSB to cater for extra water when the pumps turns off / power goes out. I mean standard 60/90L tanks are 320mm deep. If the DSB is 150mm and your flow area 100mm you still have 45mm to be safe for the overflow.

And that is 45*320*600(or 900) to hold extra overflow. Thats roughly 8.5 (600) or 13L on 900mm tank

Tobes, just a question, unless you have an auto top-up, why else must the last chamber be that big?

Even without a auto top-up, what is wrong with using the space above the DSB for the flactuations because of water evaporation?

Looking at your sump, you could have had another extra 25% DSB? Now it is just space.

I hear you and it makes sence. Didn't build the sump myself, I bought it from someone together with the tank and stand - secondhand but fairly new. I do have a auto top up as well. I like the bigger area in the sence that I can put another pump in there for something else. I'm not worried about loosing the DSB space as I'm going to add an even bigger DSB to the current setup anyway. The extra DSB's footprint will be 500mm x 600mm. So I will have 2 DSB's - the one you see + the new one in my refugium which will hold 165litres :)

Back
Top Bottom