using jik to clean aptasia,algae infested live rock

Reaction score
hi all

had a piece of live rock that had a single aptasia on and some algae and got some used aragonite from another reefer(was seriously ripe)i have put it all in a bucket and thrown a quarter bottle of jik or bleach in with some fresh water, i have it running like that with a strong power head

basically what i need to know is how long do i keep it running like that and how long does it take for the bleach to dissipate when in the sun(where it is now) or have i cocked up the whole process, if anyone knows how or has done this before i would seriosly appreciate some advice on how to remove the bleach once it has done its job and how to do this properly in the future

the last thing i want to do is spend a whole month cycling my new tank only to bleach my live stock

Hey man.. bleach isnt the way to go.. I believe seachem prime will remove the bleach. I know that when you soak the phosphate removal media in jik then you use prime to remove the jik... You can just use boiling water to kill the aiptasia once the rock is out of the water

Jono the rock is now dead .. it is clear from life including bacteria.. jik is extreemly effiectient in steralising things..

so basically i would suggest rinsing the rock off in RO water preferabley and placing in the tank, run with the skimmer on for a few days and then add some LR and biodigest.

the LR and biodigest will add bacteria and start the cycle..

you in for a week or twos wait but the more LR the better the addition of functioning bacteria..

aptasia is terrable stuff, i dont blame you for steralising your rock at all.. a good start = a long nice reefing experience..

Hey man.. bleach isnt the way to go.. I believe seachem prime will remove the bleach. I know that when you soak the phosphate removal media in jik then you use prime to remove the jik... You can just use boiling water to kill the aiptasia once the rock is out of the water

also very effective in getting the rock to release the kak trapped in its inner pores..

nice one Trem..

the thing with aiptasia is that you have to remove it from the tank when you want to kill it as it will release spores when its in distress. Thats why it gets worse when you try to kill it. Lol cant blame you for pulling out the nukes for it :p ... I just left my aiptasia alone and it doesnt seem to be spreading

thanks guys

the rock in question is only a small piece of my total live rock and will be seeded by the other in no time, i had a bad experience with aptasia in the past so i do tend to wanna return the favour when it comes to that :kangakiller:

my worry is that the sand and rock will absorb and release the chemicals into the water slowly and poison the system even after the run in period, isnt jik basically ammonia? and wouldnt that help the run in of a new tank,might b a stupid question?

hope the lfs's sell seachem prime here in slummies, otherwise i am gonna run the tank in for at least 4 weeks so hopefully any nasty stuff will dissapate or be taken out by the skimmer, i will use the boiling water method next time( hopefully there is not a next time) it seems more humane lol and a lot easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
The amonia levels generated when a tank is cycling and JIK is like comparing a Nuke with a bb gun.

It wont speed up the cycle, only thing that helps with that is more bacteria. However, if you boil the rock in a proper amount of RO water for a few minutes, maybe even 20 to be safe, any traces of JIK will mix with the RO and evaporate. You can add RO as it evaporates.

true true, will boil the rock to be safe, the sand might b a bit tricky, will leave in the sun for a week or so stirring it up then rinsing every day for the week with fresh water, u think that will be enough?

Back
Top Bottom