Urgent ID please, clever guys

Reaction score
Please ID this for me.... Thank you in Advance:

smaller.jpg

Dwarf lion? Why is he out of the water? ;-)

Bucket (Container) was held on an angle so the fish could be out of the water for a couple of seconds to get a pic for better positive ID ;)

Are you sure about the Dwarf Lion Sihaya?

That's what it looks like to me, but it's actually a bad angle to ID a fish (better from the side and under water actually). But I'm no fish ID expert. I just had one of them once, so I recognize the type. However, there are several different species all called "dwarf lion."

I have Lionfish, but seems to look completely different than the Lionfish I have, especially the fins on the side. But yeah, I only know 01 Lionfish type and that is the Volatile (spelling...lol).

Will google Dwarf Lion. Thank you

i would hazard a guess it is Dendrochirus brachypterus or shortfin/fuzzy dwarf lion ;)

Last edited:
Not much fuzz to be a fuzzy .... but definately a dwarf ..... telltale signs are the webbing inbetween the fins ... the Volitans have separate individual side fins .. Fuzzy also has more fuzz especially on the antennae above the eyes ..... Sean K .... Volatile is the situation that can arise if some one here is not listening and killing of sea creatures .... eg.... The arguments here on MASA reach a volatile state when everybody wants to be right! ..... could be Dendrochirus zebra .... Remember fuzzies get their name from how much of "fuzz"on their antennae and ends on their fins ..... Put that N8 camera to work and give us a side shot so we can see how much fuzz and if he needs a shave! .... The other cool cousin is the Fu ManChu ..... but he has a twirled beard under his mouth .... Just remember although these dont grow large like Volitans but they are semi-agro and will go after small shrimps and crabs and their sting is just as painfull as their cousins

Last edited:
Not much fuzz to be a fuzzy .... but definately a dwarf ..... telltale signs are the webbing inbetween the fins ... the Volitans have separate individual side fins .. Fuzzy also has more fuzz especially on the antennae above the eyes .....

Interesting, thank you
;)

Sean K .... Volatile is the situation that can arise if some one here is not listening and killing of sea creatures .... eg.... The arguments here on MASA reach a volatile state when everybody wants to be right!

:lol: :lol: :lol: I know what volatile means, just could not get the right name at 12h15 in the wee hours of the morning :lol:

..... could be Dendrochirus zebra .... Remember fuzzies get their name from how much of "fuzz"on their antennae and ends on their fins

:thumbup:

..... Put that N8 camera to work and give us a side shot so we can see how much fuzz and if he needs a shave! .... The other cool cousin is the Fu ManChu ..... but he has a twirled beard under his mouth .... Just remember although these dont grow large like Volitans but they are semi-agro and will go after small shrimps and crabs and their sting is just as painfull as their cousins

I'll try and get side shots, but now I must first get to church.

Not too much worried wrt their eating habits Chika, I do not want small fish in my tank anyways, except the ones I'm putting in there to be used as food for theses fish

Dendrochirus brachypterus tend to have yellowish tips and are more rare .... another trademard would be that there are not much protrusion from their fins out of their "web" ..... As with yours there are distinct pokey points out of the web on their side fins so leaning more towards Zebra .... Also check his tail fin ... If there are 2 spheres on it like half moons then he's definately a Zebra as no other dwarf lion has this markings
14844d69fe5d6d339.jpg

He said we with Nokia N8's dont know how to take photo's!:p Just kidding..... Something about 1000 million percent sure its a fuzzy .... What worries me is who's got enough kahuna's to delete the big man's posts .... or was it that it was a post not 1000 million % correct:whistling:

Back
Top Bottom