UPS for small setup

Reaction score
What would a UPS cost for a ±200L tank running 3 T5's, 2 pumps, 2 powerheads, heater. Any other details as to the size of the unit etc.

What would a UPS cost for a ±200L tank running 3 T5's, 2 pumps, 2 powerheads, heater. Any other details as to the size of the unit etc.

the problems is to run all that equipment, it will require serious batteries, it is normal practice to only run the necessities off the ups, maybe a return pump and a powerhead, but heaters and lights will kill your backup time.

i was at incredible connection and saw a UPS for around 1K,small thing,planning on saving up just to run an airpump,resun wavemaker as it low on voltage and maybe what ever else it can handle.i know Preshan has a huge one.

i was at incredible connection and saw a UPS for around 1K,small thing,planning on saving up just to run an airpump,resun wavemaker as it low on voltage and maybe what ever else it can handle.i know Preshan has a huge one.

How many hours could you get off that running a return and powerhead? When you say airpump do you mean an airstone?

It all depens on several factors, one being the load, a return pump depending on size may draw about 40-100watt (if not more) and a avg. powerhead 15-20watt, and the size/rating of the ups, but I would say anywhere between 10min to a hour. The second problem is that not all Ups's can power submersable pump as they are inductive type motors, trust me, i've tried. Have read on net and electronics forums that they need to be "pure sine" wave type - very expensive.

An air pump will work fine on any type ups, good idea would be to put the air stone in a tube so it would cause water flow too, like the old under gravel filter.

Most PC UPS`es are programmed to run for about 15 min.. So ask the dealer how long will it run!

UPS' are just fancy battery packs with inverters and step-up transformers. They mostly have 12V DC batteries in them (the time rectangular batteries), which are the same type as you find in the "vehicle jump/starter packs" (ie. available from Midas, et al).....
Cost-wise, it would be slightly cheaper to go for an UPS, BUT as have been said - the run-time is very slight....
Another option would be to use a deep-cycle car battery (lasts longer than a normal car battery), and a standalone inverter (to convert from 12V to 220V) - this should last MUCH longer than a UPS. BUT the downside is that the combined cost is slightly more expensive....
BTW: I use the car-starter pack with my 4x4 air-compressor. I get +-2.5 hours out of it. The compressor blows enough air to create a HUGE flow as well as supplies air to the tank.

UPS' are just fancy battery packs with inverters and step-up transformers. They mostly have 12V DC batteries in them (the time rectangular batteries), which are the same type as you find in the "vehicle jump/starter packs" (ie. available from Midas, et al).....
Cost-wise, it would be slightly cheaper to go for an UPS, BUT as have been said - the run-time is very slight....
Another option would be to use a deep-cycle car battery (lasts longer than a normal car battery), and a standalone inverter (to convert from 12V to 220V) - this should last MUCH longer than a UPS. BUT the downside is that the combined cost is slightly more expensive....
BTW: I use the car-starter pack with my 4x4 air-compressor. I get +-2.5 hours out of it. The compressor blows enough air to create a HUGE flow as well as supplies air to the tank.

What did this cost you?

I would have to agree, IMO the best way is with an inverter and battery. I went shopping and got prices, Battery was +- R500, charger +-R300 and inverter (300w) +-R700 (thats a Pure Sine type that will run any 220v device within 300watts, as not all inverters can do this)

That setup can supply 60watts for about 9 hrs.

Thats about R1500, not bad considering what your livestock will cost to replace.

I would have to agree, IMO the best way is with an inverter and battery. I went shopping and got prices, Battery was +- R500, charger +-R300 and inverter (300w) +-R700 (thats a Pure Sine type that will run any 220v device within 300watts, as not all inverters can do this)

That setup can supply 60watts for about 9 hrs.

Thats about R1500, not bad considering what your livestock will cost to replace.

Is there a link available to explain how the whole thing is setup? My electrical experience is limited to putting a plug in a socket:blushing:

lighty - to answer your question: my "workaround" for power-issues is something that I always have/had around (I drive a 4x4 and go camping a lot - therefor the toys).
BUT, cost would be: Power-pack (quick-start): +-R500, 4x4 compressor (high pressure): +-R300

Personally I think the best value for money solution would be the deep-cycle car battery, with trickle charger, and inverter......

To go MUCH more expensive, you can go for an auto-switching circuit connected to a generator..... (here your looking at R5000 upwards for a semi-decent gennie and auto-switching circuit connected/wired to your DB-board).

Invest in a gennie, you use it for the rest of house. It has been a pleasure with all the load shedding in Gauteng.

Back
Top Bottom