Tunze abuse

Reaction score
Tunze, in my opinion, have always been the bench mark for controllable flow pumps in medium to large home aquariums. There is something about the quality of the flow that corals love and they simply keep going for years and years, especially the older models. They are expensive, but the best.

I got one second hand in 2008 when I was visiting weeman in the UK and the owner didnt know exactly how old it was, but probably 2 years by that stage. So its a pump thats been going since around 2006. Day in and day out. Not missing a beat.

But its been colonized and needed some repairs and maintenance. It stuck deep into a corner of the tank and out the way so I never relay bother with it, i know its not blowing its full water volume (i can see the effect in the tank) so a while ago i took the water guards off and ran it bare prop.

the Coraline encrustation on the from plate camouflaged it well in the tank, and was about 4 mm thick....

IMG_0521.jpg

the actual impeller has been chopping through water so long its been warm away, im not sure how big it should be, but certainly not reduced to this....

IMG_0525.jpg

and as i wanted to order a replacement propeller i needed to be sure of the actual model of the pump, which i couldn't even read off the back......

IMG_0523.jpg

but i now know it should be pumping 12000l/h (perhaps i should lend it to vortex to see what its actual output is:p)

IMG_0527.jpg

While I know tunze are expensive, to have a pump that takes this amount of abuse, carries on regardless and has served two owners perfectly over 6 or more years means I wont look anywhere else when it comes to quality internal pumps. Buy right once and you never have to buy again.

thank you tunze for German engineering where it relay counts in my tank.

post script, its been cleaned and vinigared where it counts, the rest of the coraline hiding the pump and fitting it into its corner of my tank has been left....new part on order:)

the Coraline encrustation on the from plate camouflaged it well in the tank, and was about 4 mm thick....
you should be cleaning it more often me thinks :tt2: it just goes to show tunze equipment really is install and forget equipment offering tremendous peace of mind.

I too think that Tunze pumps although expensive are well worth the money we pay for them!

I bought my Tunze skimmer 2nd hand, 3 years ago it is still going strong and I am the 3rd owner!

Im also running mine bare prop. Damn supercharges the thing!

beautifull flow but ugly and big in tanks (from what ive heard) hence most move to vortech for their sleek apearance but hey, looks dont always count hey,in marines its effectiveness and reliability ;longterm;)

beautifull flow but ugly and big in tanks

My 6105 looks way prettier than most pumps on the marker and I am willing to bet, it'll outlast all of them.

Id love to see someone post some pictures of their old Vortech pumps to see how they stand the test of time :thumbup:

Last edited:
Have the same old brown pumps on my skimmer and filter cannisters and are running like a dream with no issues and have never needed to clean them all that much. Tunze all the way

This is awesome to see. I just bought a pair of 6055's and a controller of which only one pump was in stock so I'm awaiting the second and the controller. In the meantime I've stuck the one I have into my nano on the lowest power setting and the thing works like a bomb. And the best part is you can't hear it working at all. Glad to hear I'm in for years of good service. Def looks like it was money well spent

My 6105 looks way prettier than most pumps on the marker and I am willing to bet, it'll outlast all of them.

Id love to see someone post some pictures of their old Vortech pumps to see how they stand the test of time :thumbup:
my one is 3 years old i think, and still going strong, when next you here will take it off the tank :)

but while i thought this was like a glomail advert, my first tank in the 90's had the original tunze filter that sat on top of the tank, ran for 5 yrs

beautifull flow but ugly and big in tanks (from what ive heard) hence most move to vortech for their sleek apearance but hey, looks dont always count hey,in marines its effectiveness and reliability ;longterm;)

What you heard is incorrect, they are beautiful, the also turn to any position, therefore, giving you flow wherever you want and can be placed anywhere in the tank. The internal mechanism of the MP 60 is larger than the TUNZE 6105 complete pump.......

This is awesome to see. I just bought a pair of 6055's and a controller of which only one pump was in stock so I'm awaiting the second and the controller. In the meantime I've stuck the one I have into my nano on the lowest power setting and the thing works like a bomb. And the best part is you can't hear it working at all. Glad to hear I'm in for years of good service. Def looks like it was money well spent

Thanks Greg, I am sure you will be even happier when the other one arrives, sorry for delay.......cheers Anita

Well done, I agree with you......

For the implellor to the "chewed" down like that clearly showns that the pump has stood the test of time:thumbup:

My suite of 6045's and 6105's have run flawlessly for about 2 years without any hiccups:) The one 6045's shaft has recently snapped for some unknow reason, but besides this I believe it has been a great investment for my setup.

mine are 3 years old.............only ever changed a transformer........run like clockwork 24 hours a day 365 days a year....never cleaned em too.....:yeahdude:

Back
Top Bottom