Trying to save an SPS

Thanks guys ... I need to go out for about 4 hours so won't be able to do the tests right now

I have had a very high magnesium >1600 for weeks and have not been able to bring it down at all ....

I have had a very high magnesium >1600 for weeks and have not been able to bring it down at all ....

like i said its ionic inbalance. mg can come from leaking mg out of a rock. just leave mg there dont worry about it just bring your ca up asap. you dont have to test now just do ca dosing pleas.

you need water changes to fix this problem 5% a week is best. you will see improvement fast! also 0 is not 0 with a tds the mesure in ppm so it will not pic up .9pmm off anything. other wise give the sps to some one that can see to its needs! and just keep softies

Meg g...please be careful about the advice you give. You talking in circles and are making little sense at the moment. How on earth will more calcium decrease his magnesium?
Also telling someone to give the sps to someone else is a bit harsh. Vic is here to learn, not to be told to simply give his corals away. The issues Vic has highlighted will take minor adjustments to fix and your comments are comming across a tad condescending.
You have gone from ca being to low, kh being too high, phosphate high, tds reading incorrect, water changes, salt brand.....to name but a few. Every post you seem to come up with a new thumb sucked theory.

I don't understand why Alk being "high" is a problem ? I can understand that it is to high in realtion to the Ca I have and so need to correct for low Ca but sure by dropping the Alk too much then the Ca will again be out of balance ??

Meg g...please be careful about the advice you give. You talking in circles and are making little sense at the moment. How on earth will more calcium decrease his magnesium?
Also telling someone to give the sps to someone else is a bit harsh. Vic is here to learn, not to be told to simply give his corals away. The issues Vic has highlighted will take minor adjustments to fix and your comments are comming across a tad condescending.
You have gone from ca being to low, kh being too high, phosphate high, tds reading incorrect, water changes, salt brand.....to name but a few. Every post you seem to come up with a new thumb sucked theory.

ionic balance is like that. realy need a phd. i am on the tumore see. have you seen miles and miles of dead coral. its like you wanting a ryno but realy cant take care of it! so my life is coral coral and more coral 19h a day in a lab trying to stop wbd. so sorry if im harsh but raely!!!

I don't understand why Alk being "high" is a problem ?

To understand whats happening here look at this.
Coral has algae living inside it called zooxanthellae it creates food for the coral and offers uv protection.
With high no3 and po4 this algae thrives and gives the coral a brownish appearance. When nutrients drop this algae population lowers and this reduces food for the coral and also forces the coral to protect itself from UV, and thus colours up. much like a sun tan in humans.

The coral however now needs amino acids ie food for energy. and also is suseptable to burning, this is why high alk now poses a problem to sps in low nutrient systems generally this burning will affect the tips first and sometimes the base of the coral.

Generally an alk of over 10 is needed here. but it seems your parameters are out or your test kits are inaccurate.

This is why its now important for you to identify what exactly is wrong with your tank, to determine the right course of action to successfully treat and save the sps.

How is the sps looking today BTW?

To understand whats happening here look at this.
Coral has algae living inside it called zooxanthellae it creates food for the coral and offers uv protection.
With high no3 and po4 this algae thrives and gives the coral a brownish appearance. When nutrients drop this algae population lowers and this reduces food for the coral and also forces the coral to protect itself from UV, and thus colours up. much like a sun tan in humans.

The coral however now needs amino acids ie food for energy. and also is suseptable to burning, this is why high alk now poses a problem to sps in low nutrient systems generally this burning will affect the tips first and sometimes the base of the coral.

Generally an alk of over 10 is needed here. but it seems your parameters are out or your test kits are inaccurate.

This is why its now important for you to identify what exactly is wrong with your tank, to determine the right course of action to successfully treat and save the sps.

Dude, thank you.

Looking a bit worse. More tips white but base about the same.

I really have no idea how we are supposed to know if our test kits are out - think I must maybe look at a different brand to compare.

I am also nowhere near an LFS so cannot just buy stuff quickly so will have to wait until Thursday ... I don't have any stuff to reduce phosphates.

Will try a water change for now ....

5 percent water changes a week wont make the world of difference imo. Thats more a maintenance schedule. If you wanting to actually use water changes to fix this problem you need to look at bigger changes or more frequent changes.

Back
Top Bottom