Torch coral not enjoying clowns company

Reaction score
What I was warned about has happened, its been over 2 weeks now and in the last 2 days the torch has been a little withdrawn. Would like to get a nennie but concerned my T5 lighting is not sufficient (2 13k whites & 1 20k blue). If I had to get one I could place it about 30cm from the waters surface. What views does anyone have on this?

I dont want to get rid of the torch or the clowns so a nennie seems the only option.

Buying a nem' will not guaruntee the torch corals safety, Kanga recently posted pics showing clowns hosting many different things, they may ignore the nem - or they may be on it like a shot.
Don't buy a nem' for this reason, only buy one when your tank is sufficiently stable to support it.
The only thing i would suggest is to move the torch to another spot, it may confuse the clowns......possibly:)

Agree with WeeMan, once they have picked a host its a job to get themto move

Hi all - I have had many clowns and many anemone's - I must confess - I never had a clown host in anything else than my nemmies. Even when I lost my nemmie in Jan 07, the clowns was swimming around "helplessly" looking REALLY lost, even though I had already replaced some corals at the time (softies).... Once I added another anemone - they were already trying to "host" in it even WHILE I still had the anemone in my HAND while placing it in the tank! They went straight for the nemmie, and never left it ever again!

I would say - perhaps contact the MASA member "Anemone" and get Brenda (anemone's) input on this question. She seems to have the most experience so far with anemone's - more than me......

IF I would suggest something, it would be perhaps to increase the lighting, (just add one more white T5, or two at max, if money and space allows), and then go for a quadricolor or bubble-tip anemone, as they seem to be the easiest to keep (as long as you feed it often)...
And also, I am NEARLY sure that the clowns would go for the nemmie then, as it is MUCH more natural for them to host in the nemmie, than it is to host in a coral.

Nowhere in nature do clown-fish host in corals....

My clowns will host in anything on the right hand side of the tank. Had the pin c on the RHS they use it, moved it to LHS and put the frog spawn on the RHS, they then hosted in it move the FS and so on.......

What I am trying to tell you if your tank is no a nano try move it.

My clowns were hosting in the my brain coral, moved it and now they are in the Pincushion, although they still do visit the brain on the odd occasion.

I have clowns hosting in the frogspawn and they dont seem to upset it too much.

my clowns now host in my gonipora and piss the living sh1t out of it! it barely wants to open so i placed a cage made of egg crate over it and now it opens up threw the holes:) its just tempery. the clowns used to have a nenny but it went walking into the pump. its now heeled and nearly ready to go into the tank but it keeps on floating base up, for the last 24hrs, any one know whats happening? sorry for high-jacking your thread:whistling:

Back
Top Bottom