To RO or not to RO? That is the question...

Reaction score
Hi all,

My question is relatively simple. RO units are generally quite expensive - especially when you take into consideration that the pure you gain is far out-weighed by the waste water produced by an RO unit.

However, I can understand how the idea that they will pay for themselves in a matter of time can sway people's opinions. The real question I wish to pose is this: can one get away with non-ROed water, even if it's for a few months, until I can buy an RO unit?

Also, I'm a conservationist at heart and feel that the waste water produced from RO units is far too high for the amount of pure water you gain from it. It doesn't seem like you'll be "saving" all that much with an RO unit. Is there any other way to purify water (except by distilling it) to make it, at least, OKAY for a marine setup? Can't one run water through multiple layers of filtration such a sponge, cotton, sand, GAC, stones, or anything else to achieve a similar result? I realise the result might not be perfect, but at least you can get rid of some of the metals and other crap in our water supplies.

Please advise.

Ta!

There's no need to "waste" the waste water. Use it to water the garden, top up water features etc.

What about a distillizer/deironizer guys? Unit uses mixed-bed resin and gives a conductivity of '0' with on waste water.

@mandarinman , I also prefer the RO system as its way cheaper than the distillizer , my distillizer takes about 6 litres of resin @ R62 per/litre = R372 . I get around 1200 litres till the resin is exhausted. First 600litres at '0'ppm and the other 600litres at 5ppm. I dont go over 5ppm. So the RO system is way better I think . Just my 1c

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate all the jibber-jabber about conservation guys, but that's a lengthy discussion that's best done somewhere else - perhaps with a beer in hand. But the topic is about purifying water differently. I need constructive advice and so far only two people have provided something useful for me.

From what I've gotten so far, I now know that De-ironizers and Distillers might be a possible, but not necessarily a viable, option because they are expensive in the long run. Perhaps an RO unit is the best and only way. And if thousands of people around the world are doing then sobeit. I'd like to look at other options thought. We live in a world where we grow baby foreskins for skin grafts, yet we can't think of a less-wasteful way to purify water. That's hard to believe.

Guys please , be nice to new comers , Brian83 donating for local conservation (that counts alot) and not to the over-sea conservation (if any) which their reefs as a relatively good growth rate. Theres no growth on our reefs

That made no sence at all

Go with an R/O unit Brian, the reason why we all use them is because they work. You can catch rain water but honestly you are looking for something which is convienant and easy to use. The R/O unit is easy, compact and cheap to run. The filters last years. No need to reinvent the wheel

Apologies for those rude members Brian, the offending posts have been removed.

@ Singularity, your sarcasm was uncalled for. Someone is asking for advice, if you can not contribute positively rather do not make any comment.

@mandarinman , I also prefer the RO system as its way cheaper than the distillizer , my distillizer takes about 6 litres of resin @ R62 per/litre = R372 . I get around 1200 litres till the resin is exhausted. First 600litres at '0'ppm and the other 600litres at 5ppm. I dont go over 5ppm. So the RO system is way better I think . Just my 1c

I'm not sure what the output of an ro unit is before you need to change filters

I'm not sure what the output of an ro unit is before you need to change filters

I personally change mine every year, but I have heard you can get away with it every 18 months. You'll need a TDS pen to test the RO water. Also, you can add a further RO membrane that filters the waste water again, which then transllates to less water wastage, and more output, but this membrane would have to be changed a little more often. You will also need quite high water pressure and the cost will be higher too.

You questions have got me thinking though, good work on waking me up!:1:

@Brian83

I was in the same position as you when I started the hobby, I didn't like the fact of "wasting" water and didn't like the ratio of ro to "waste " water.

I chatted to macro (the Waterboy) he sorted me out with an ro unit, but custom built it with extra stages, to increase the ratio so I got less " waste" and more ro.

Give him a call, super helpful and great service

hello brian, thanks for the pm,
sorry for the late reply, but i was up in the berg with no connectivity to the world:thumbup:

lol

yes we have a method to increase production and decrease waste, as explained by dean t.......which ill explain to you in detail over the phone, i also do have a really good demo unit available for you.

there are ways to increase production of r.o, and drastically reduce waste through new advanced nano filtration methods used in conjuction with r.o.

i will be flying to ningbo to finalise layout and design of a new unit that will do this, however these methods are expensive so the end user will need to weigh up the opton of using waste water or paying upfront in order to conserve......

some people let rain water run down the drain....other buy storage tanks, pumps, etc etc and use the rain water in there gardens to save........
they saving water, but using alot of money and electricity in order to be green.....
kind of the direction the world is going i guess

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom