The Reef Aquatics IntelliSun LED review

Hi Visser, thank you so match. You did a excellent review on this units.:thumbup: Hope all the LFS going to use you from now on to do all write ups.:slayer: Be honest this is the first time i under stand led, and what all those fancy word every one use.:slayer: This is for all newbies and new comers to Led to read up:thumbup: for the first time, you change my mind here i come Led.:1: for the hole wright up a gold star for you.:thumbup:

Wow, @Visser, I echo all the compliments above in this thread. And again compliments to a great review on this product.

You've done way more than what we have expected.

Your review is logical, easy to follow, concise and overall just a job bloody well done !

Thanks for your work on this and we hope you enjoy your new LED and keep us all posted as to the longer term.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @Dorry, only a pleasure & glad i could help you understand leds:thumbup:.
Cheers for the star :blush:

Wow, @Visser, I echo all the compliments above in this thread. And again compliments to a great review on this product.

You've done way more than what we have expected.

Your review is logical, easy to follow, concise and overall just a job bloody well done !

Thanks for your work on this and we hope you enjoy your new LED and keep us all posted as to the longer term.

Thanks andre! Was a real treat testing this unit & i will definitely keep everyone updated with long term results. (But i doubt its going to change at all from the positive results ive seen thus far...)

Thanks to the guys at Reef Aquatics for making the IntelliSun available to us here in the south!

Wow great review, in your opinion how many and what size units would be required for a tank with a hood , size of tank 1800 x 650 x 650 awaiting your answer when you have time to reply.:thumbup:

would be required for a tank with a hood
Depending on the hood.
Remember LEDS needs good ventilation, else you run them over the optimum temperature and seriously shorten their lifespan. also the fan opening being on top, you need to mount the unit lower so that air can come in if your hood got a solid top.
Most Leds gets mounted about 300mm above the water level. Improves area coverage and prolong the live of the fan. If the hood is too enclosed the moisture rich area will cause the fan to pack up prematurely, regardless of LED make.

Wow great review, in your opinion how many and what size units would be required for a tank with a hood , size of tank 1800 x 650 x 650 awaiting your answer when you have time to reply.:thumbup:

@contini, what type of corals are you keeping in your tank? Mostly SPS? LPS? Softies?

For SPS, i would say you require 3x 85W units spaced at 300mm from edge & 600mm centre to centre.
For very high light requiring SPS corals, you can go with 4x 85W (staggered) units, but not less than 3.

& as for the hood... If possible, you shouldn't mount led units inside an aquarium hood as the moisture causes it to pack up very quickly! What you can perhaps do is to make cutouts in the lid that fits the unit exactly. Then mount the leds in such a way that the units rests on top of the hood with only the lenses inside the hood.
This will allow the IntelliSun to draw in fresh air from outside the tank to cool the unit & you dont have to worry about the moisture as the bottom of the intellisun has a waterproof rating for splash & humidity...

for a 1500x850x650 tank which one would you recommend? reef tank with sps , lps and soft corals

@AhmedD, is the tank 1.5m long 850 wide & 650 deep? or 650 wide 850 deep?

Can you perhaps post a FTS pic of your tank?

If the tank is 850 wide, i would recommend 3x 170w units (the double hop units) spaced at |250 unit 500 unit 500 unit 250| .

Perhaps @Andre@ReefAquatics can give some input as well.

I think you should do fine with only 3x 85W units if you mount them slightly higher. (+- 350-400mm from water level.)

@AhmedD, is the tank 1.5m long 850 wide & 650 deep? or 650 wide 850 deep?

Can you perhaps post a FTS pic of your tank?

If the tank is 850 wide, i would recommend 3x 170w units (the double hop units) spaced at |250 unit 500 unit 500 unit 250| .

Perhaps @Andre@ReefAquatics can give some input as well.

Absolutely spot on advice @Visser, for a tank 850 wide then we would recommend the 2 double cluster unit for the required spread and as you are 1500 long then 3 units.

Note with this config you should have INTENSE lighting.

However on the picture of your tank it does not look that deep in width, are you sure you need to cover 850.

Seems like 3 85w will work nicely, but rather give us a call to discuss in detail.

Back
Top Bottom