The Law and fish Collection in SA

So treat scuba like a strip club

Not that I know much about strip clubs, but I believe a certain club in CT allows significant touching - but it'll cost you! Strangely I am less morally worried about that than about collecting fish! :blush:

Anyone know of a nice tropical country we can snorkle and collect live coral for our own home use legally? In 15 or so years, I'll want to retire somewhere tropical; and it would be nice to walk to the beach and bring home a nice piece from time to time for my tank.

I'm just mad because I was planning on retiring in Maui, and found out you can't keep a reef tank there. :dft007:

Not even if you purchase all of the items in it.

Last edited:
Anyone know of a nice tropical country we can snorkle and collect live coral for our own home use legally? In 15 or so years, I'll want to retire somewhere tropical; and it would be nice to walk to the beach and bring home a nice piece from time to time for my tank.

I can only think of Indonesia , Australia and Fiji where it is legal to collect corals

Last edited:
theres this small little atoll kwaji or something like that there is a thread on RC where the guy dives out his own clams and SPS's. search for a thread by Rballjunky its not pulling up right now for me

theres this small little atoll kwaji or something like that there is a thread on RC where the guy dives out his own clams and SPS's. search for a thread by Rballjunky its not pulling up right now for me
He downscaled to a NANO last year ;)

MARSH Tank of the Month - February 2007

This used to be one of his old tanks:

CIMG9955.jpg

And this was his 2005 tank:

DSC02255.jpg

Last edited:
So im going on holiday to balito/durban and i need a permit cause i want to collect some livestock for my tank. But now the post offices are still striking..... where can i get a permit ? Please help guys

@Krappie - no worries dude.. The Durban post office in most suburbs are still functional - They are not directly striking like most of the country - so if you go in - they will give you a permit and take your cash. So you are sorted.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I've read, one needs two separate permits. One for fish and another for soft coral and inverts. Can any members here confirm this and advise as to which permits we will require.

Would like to collect soft coral, zoas, LPs, etc. We will be down in DBN from the 13th Dec to just after new year. Not looking to collect too many fish because of the duration of our stay but want to have the correct permits to stay on the right side of the law.

One permit. Just two different categories on it that you pay for. The post office will advise you.

Hi all. Sorry to bump up this old thread, but I have a question and hope someone with experience in the laws can help. Is the use of a barier net allowed for collecting marine fish. Just to make sure all understands that a barier net is ised to corral fish in and then catching the fish you are after. This is by no means a gill net. I haven't been successful in finding any law that says it not allowed. Also asked the local parkies and they couldn't answer me.

It is not illegal as far as I know, have used it myself in past for fish like moorishes and bigger tangs. They don’t mention any illegal techniques, except I think in latest regulations on DAFF’s website they say you aren’t allowed to collect on scuba.

It is not illegal as far as I know, have used it myself in past for fish like moorishes and bigger tangs. They don’t mention any illegal techniques, except I think in latest regulations on DAFF’s website they say you aren’t allowed to collect on scuba.

Thanks for the reply, helped allot to know some one used one before

No problem. It is not as easy as it sounds when there is surge and an uneven reef, haven’t had great success with barrier net, think I caught one tennenti and one moorish in the past, but it is a mission to set when there is surge and current, so I normally rather catch the fish with a hand net.

Back
Top Bottom