The ghost New Marine Tank

i disagree, my 22nd century setup would be
Sump with three chambers.
1 - Skimmer & inlet
2 - NP Pellets & chemical filtraion such as Rowaphos , Carbon Etc
3 - return pump & LR
thats how i am running my 600L

Were to i get these stands or must i just make one myself? Man they made me think at my LFS i dont need anything else, man that gets to me!

Pleasure bud, been down that road myself :p

In PTA west is a crowd called Central Welding Works ...awesome work @ reasonable prices...unless you can weld yourself..then you can just galv , powdercoat or hammerite as your budget allows

Hi Here is some of my so to say pluming, very simple, man I hope it works and my accessories
51484e32872023ec3.jpg
51484e3286e77d752.jpg
51484e3286a88ccf5.jpg

dude, remove the centre wooden brace in the cabinet, get a steel support brace and get yourself a bigger sump. bigger sump = bigger water volume = more stable water.

Is that a TS1 Skimmer? If so, try swop it out for a TS2 or something else thats rated for your water volume, think the TS1 is rated for 350-400L only.

What is the dimensions of the cabinet? Might be able to help you out with a bigger sump....

Otherwise great start :thumbup: now change your name already....;)

yip, those style sumps. They are last century. :) But they can work.

When I inherited my first tank, it was one exactly like this. Couple of months later I downgraded to a Nano.

Anyway, can be done. If you want, feel free to come around for a quick chat. Or I can come around tomorrow. Its a good thing to check other tanks and to steal ideas.

RiaanP thank you for the help, this is a project my boss and I started so the tank is in our office in Sandton. Lets just say I would not have been able to afford this type of equipment on my own, so we are doing it together! but we want to do it right first time! I would love to come have a look at your tank, maybe next weekend, my wife and I are going to a birthday party this weekend!
:thumbup:

I work in Sandton. So I can after hours stop by. Rivonia or Greyston.

HI gMan

I might just take that sump from you, if you not using it!

Thank you

No problem dude, the dimensions of the sump is: 1070L x 380W x 420L if this will fit in the cabinet, you're more than welcome to it. Let me know

You got a lot of work to do. Anyway, now that you on MASA, keep on asking questions.

Anyway. The thick layer of crush coral substrate. It looks cool at the moment. But in future, that is where all the detritus will be trapped, causing future phosphate and nitrate issues. Rather take half of it out. Or try aragonite (expensive) or play sand (cheap but dirty). If you go playsand, you need to wash it like 100 times. It is dirty.

I did stop by Dorry Pets this afternoon to pick up a new pump for myself. Anyway, did look at the options, and had a quick chat with Lanzo. Yip, that small usmp you got with the LAVA rock, its good for fish only systems. But as soon as the ladies in the office see one day some nice corals, then you need to change. I mean you need to change the sump.

I do like my DSB. Its cheap and when properly sized and setup, it does its job naturally. but you can not go for a DSB. So you are the second person to whom I give the option of the NP-Pellet reactor as alternative. It does its job, and if it can do as promised, then that the answer to all those small sump designs with the little glass doors.

First, you want water. NEVER USE TAP WATER. You did mention the place you bought the tank said to you that you can do your top ups with tap water. Well, you know now better. So the first thing is a RO unit. Maybe ask the sponsors for a RO unit that you can use at the office that give RO water for inside tank, and drinking water for the people outside the tank. That be cool.

Next, live rock. Depending on the quality of the rock. the ladies of the house want to see fishes. And you need to keep them happy. So get good rock that is already cycled. I saw the rock at Dorry that they got in already some months back. Rock like that is already cycled. And provided you do transport them in a bucket under water from there to the tank. Then you should not run into major cycle issues. (I sound like a rep for Dorry. Sorry, I'm not.)

Your ATU, is the next thing. Get a proper one. and the RO drum should be big enough for the weekend.

Also, visit Idol Marine. They just of at Allandale. Other sponsor that you should visit is Pet Stop. Anyway, those 3 shops are the ones that I visit.

And that glass sliders on top of the tank. Remove it. Glass sliders at 3mm is anyway too dangerous to use. You will break it.

Feel free to come around and check what I done. Its always good to steal with the eyes.

unless, you want to change the cabinet, remove that centre brace and fit a bigger sump. But the cost will be more than a NP-reactor. And the time, well that another week that the pictures of fish will be up against the tank.

Well all, the hype was for nothing, my cabinet is going back because the sump area is too small, my skimmer does not fit in the sump, so now they going to cut the middle section out and put a metal stand in for more support, so I have to wait another Week or two, just to start again! I hate “HURRY UP AND WAIT”!!!!!!!!!!! :cursing::banghead::1hissyfit:

Back
Top Bottom