The best way to set up a new tank?

You already have livestock The cubes take 2 weeks at least to mature. So what will be your main biological filtration for those 2 weeks? If you can get the one sump to overflow to the other for those 2 weeks... yeah, gap closed.

I have been runing the cubes in my curent tank now for one month to make sure for my self that they work as advertised before i remove the DSB.

All you need is 1 * T-piece, 1 * 90 elbow, 1 * female end cap and a few short pieces of 50mm pipe. Short piece vertical. T-p on top, T going out horizontally to the side. Female end cap at the top (highest point). At other sump, 90 degree downwards and last 50mm pipe. Can cut both the downpipes with a 45 degree angle so that they can stand on the glass bottom, without blocking themselves. then no need to try and suspend the contraption.

To do that use 50mm PVC to siphon water from the one to the other. Just as you would siphon water out via a flexible hose. To help get the air out, drill a 6mm hole at the highest point, insert a airline hose with a tap in it, suck the air out with your mouth. close tap. There, siphon started. Check every second day that air pocket did not form in the connection.

Thanks RiaanP this answered so many questions I had.

Ill be using the Bio-Cubes that has been in my tank for a month and old live rock and sand from old tank + new sand that has been cycling in in a container for a month now with a heater and a flow pump and a small piece of LR (no lights). The old tank has been runing for 3 years now.

Last edited:
Pleasure Christo

When are you doing the move?

Mechanical filtration, you can switch off for a day. And back on without any dire effects.
Chemical you can remove and add as you wish.

Biological cannot just be taken out, left outside for a day, put back in and everything is OK.
NP-pellets dies quickly with no flow. Well the bacteria in it.
Carbon dosing, although a chemical, depends on a biological reaction to function.
Orca cubes, although cubes in a bag with an airstone, depends on yeast to function.
DSB depends on bacteria living on the substrate.

Anything that although they consume a chemical, but the active ingredient is some micro organism, be it bacteria or yeast, is biological.

Anyway, Christo, good luck and enjoy the upgrade

Back
Top Bottom