Teeth on an overflow

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm installing an overflow in my tank.

My water level is going to be at 600mm - where should the teeth start? 580mm?

The teeth width is 15mm and the spaces in between are 10mm.

I've included a pic just in case I'm not explaining myself properly.

Thanks.

picture.php

20mm play is not enough, tank water level will be a bit too high.
Rather 570mm.

Teeth should be closer together.

Why not buy the teeth from the LFS. Already made and cut. Just silicone the base to the side of the overflow. Jobs done

10mm gap between teeth and a lot of fish can still go through. Like Blue Green Chromis.

20mm play is not enough, tank water level will be a bit too high.
Rather 570mm.

Teeth should be closer together.

Why not buy the teeth from the LFS. Already made and cut. Just silicone the base to the side of the overflow. Jobs done

Thanks Riaan, I've got a mate who can cut acrylic so I've bought a 12mm sheet and I'm going to give it to him to cut the gaps - it really isn't very expensive and I think it's going to look quite decent :)

30mm from the water level it'll be then.

10mm gap between teeth and a lot of fish can still go through. Like Blue Green Chromis.

How about a gap of 5mm with 10mm slot size?

Any idea on what paint I could use to spray/paint it with? The acrylic in 12mm comes clear so I'd have to either put a sheet of perspex in front or spray/paint it.

Spray paint will not last. Rather leave it clear. It will be covered by coraline and other algae fairly quickly. Also with paint you cannot clean it in case you remove or scrape the paint.

I would go with even 5mm spacing. The more gaps you have the more water can go over. And it will not be the end of the world if the water level is either 590 or 610. And the amount of water you pump through will also have an effect on the height.

Try getting black acrylic.

3mm teeth and 3mm spaces are great when using 3mm acrylic.

The amount of rise you will get depends a lot on how wide the overflow is compared to water flow.

Spray paint will not last. Rather leave it clear. It will be covered by coraline and other algae fairly quickly. Also with paint you cannot clean it in case you remove or scrape the paint.

Awesome advice - I'll do as you suggest. Thanks again, Riaan.

I would go with even 5mm spacing. The more gaps you have the more water can go over. And it will not be the end of the world if the water level is either 590 or 610. And the amount of water you pump through will also have an effect on the height.

Shot Marius - I'll do it at 5mm then.

I'm going to have a single 50mm Durso and a vertical 50mm pipe backup opening above the water level for the "just in case" moments.

Try getting black acrylic.

3mm teeth and 3mm spaces are great when using 3mm acrylic.

The amount of rise you will get depends a lot on how wide the overflow is compared to water flow.

I'm using 12mm acrylic and I did ask for black but Maizeys say that it only comes clear. I did ask :tt2:

Wrt the rise, are you saying it's basically just a hit and hope situation? Do I install the overflow first before I drill the holes in my tank for the durso and then measure the height of the rise and then install the durso accordingly?

Overflow box, rather make it 50mm lower than the tank rim. Can even be more. Then test the tank. And silicone glue the teeth part into place as needed.

Back
Top Bottom