Tank Viewing Hight

Reaction score
What would be the best viewing hight for my planned tank of 1200X600X500? I want to start with construction but I need a few ideas as to what hight the stand should be?

Thanks

the best height depends on how u plan to view it, if your viewing couch is low, then 60-70cm is good, if its a central view point, then 1m, it all depends on how comfortable u are sitting while viewing.

my couch is low, so my stand is 60cm, for a 600mm high tank, my other is 70cm for a 500m high tank

The max height must be so that the top is under your shoulder. Makes working in the tank SO much easier. For me thats about 1.4. Deduct tank height , say 600 so the bottom sump area height works out to 800mm. Most important, your skimmer must fit into this area. A TS2 is about 550, so that mimimum is about 650. But remember you have to WORK in this area, and after you bumped your head, again, you would regret a 650mm stand. Rather go for 800 high stand.

I have been trying to decide the same question.

I agree a lower tank is easier to work on, but then I was at another reefer tank a weekend ago, with a 1 metre stand, and it was so awesome being able to stand next to the tank and drool :drool5:

warr you recall my stand (i think you saw my tank???) and thats just over 1m. I think thats by far the best height as you dont have to bend to look into a tank and it gives you ample height in the sump. I have a Deltec 850 skimmer in there and the height was no problem, also i could possibly plumb a scrubber in as well.

I also had a couch next to the back of the tank and although you were slightly lower it didnt detract from viewing at all.

caleb its no real issue being slightly lower than the tank, but its a real pain having to bend down to look into a tank. I'd go around the 1 m mark.

working in the tank is a slight hassel, but its amazing how useful a short ladder, a spare chair or even a plastic box can be :)

I personally feel a stand 800-1m is ideal. Easy to work in the sump, but it is a bit tough to get into the tank, got to use a ladder(No big deal). But I found that when I stand and watch the tank, it is the perfect height. And while sitting, i find the fish swimming over me.lol.

just my 2c ....i kept a stand height of 800 + shutterboard + polystyrene and total height before tank sat on it was 880 and i find that it gives me enough room to work under but yes when trying to touch the bottom of ur tank u gotta use a chair or ladder

Back
Top Bottom