Tank in cycle again?

Reaction score
Hi,
I've got a little problemo with my tank....
it seems like it gone in a "cycle" again.
The reason why i'm saying that is, is the fact that i've a crp load of brown algea (that algea that you ussualy get when you start your tank, and it's only running for a month or so).
I've tested for phospates - reading almost 0.
I can't test anything else (besides CA - which is 460)
My tank is running for over a year now, i have a DBS as filter.

Two things comes to mind which might have caused this brown algea bloom:
1. I've received 7 fish + a nemmie for my birthday +- 3 weeks ago - so the sudden increase of my bio load migth have caused this. (i think - not sure)
2. The water that i uses for water changes. I use RO water, but i cycle this in a 3 foot tank (+-90l) before i add the water to my tank. This 90l tank is running full time as well - i just add salt and fresh RO water in this tank after each water change - can this water in this tank goes in "cycle" as well? I've noted a brown algea as well in this tank. (not the same as which is in the main tank)

My corals suffer a bit - 2 of my kenia trees don't open any more, some of my other soft corals are not doing so well either.
My fish all looks happy - it's just the corrals that's affected - they are covered with the brown algea - every now and again i blow it off with a power head.

any ideas?

So you got a diatom bloom.
1. Possibility that the sudden increase in bio load has caused this.
2. If you say you getting diatoms in the 90l tank, surely this tank is getting light from somewhere. You need to cover the tank completely so that no light gets to it causing the diatoms.

Ps. try and test amonia, nitrites and nitrates at a LFS or by a fellow reefer.

How big is your display and what fish did you get?As you have to 90lts, i would do a large water change, i wouldn't reccommend a nem in a new tank, they require very stable conditions and a mature tank, keep an eye on it in case it starts to move.

My display tank is 300l, sump +- 250l
My tank is running for over a year, everything was very stable - till now...
yip - my nemmy moved - twice.
New Fish:
3 firegobies,1 foxface (small),1 bangail cardinal, 1 yellow tail damsel...

Hi, your nitrates and phosphates will test low or almost 0, as the algae are using up all the available nutrients.

Set your skimmer to skim a little bit wetter.
Feed little bit less till the algae start subsiding.
Remove as much as possible of the algae by hand or via siphon.
Increase your water change regime till the algae starts to subside(only if you are sure your change water is nutrient free)
Run carbon - Algae might be releasing poisonous substances and that might be one of the reasons why your corals are not opening.
You could reduce your lights "on" time, to stop the algae from growing so quickly.
You could add a light to your sump and run it 24/7 to get the algae to rather grow in your sump than in your display.

my 2c :p

So you got a diatom bloom.
1. Possibility that the sudden increase in bio load has caused this.
2. If you say you getting diatoms in the 90l tank, surely this tank is getting light from somewhere. You need to cover the tank completely so that no light gets to it causing the diatoms.

Ps. try and test amonia, nitrites and nitrates at a LFS or by a fellow reefer.

yip - the 90l do get sun light....i'll cover it up.
Can this 90l caused issues, seeing that it have diatoms?

1. I've received 7 fish + a nemmie for my birthday +- 3 weeks ago - so the sudden increase of my bio load might have caused this. (i think - not sure)

Each time you increase the bio load the system has to adjust to keep up, seven fish at once is quite a lot.

Do more water changes.

Back
Top Bottom