Tank build

Reaction score
Hi All,
What is the largest size tank I can build with 6 mm glass?I have been given a large piece of 6mm glass and want to build another tank.I quite like the idea of a square tank and have been thinking about sizes.So I am looking for some input as to what length,width and depth I can go.What ever tank style I choose is it also possible to drill the back glass for cls or is the glass to thin.
Thank
Shane

What size is the glass you have?

a 4ft should be fine 1.2*450*450 or go for a cube 600*600*600 that will look awsome!

Height is determined by glass thickness. At 6mm I would not like to go more than 500mm. Maybe 600mm but then double euro bracing top and bottom.

Height is determined by glass thickness.

Not neccesarily. If you have a tank with a length of 3m and a height of 50cm would you use 6mm glass?

Also I also prefer to think of it as glass thickness is determined by how big a tank the wife will let you have :p

Not neccesarily. If you have a tank with a length of 3m and a height of 50cm would you use 6mm glass?

Also I also prefer to think of it as glass thickness is determined by how big a tank the wife will let you have :p

Actually I don't like 6mm glass anyway. But in my opinion you could get away with it if you had adequate euro bracing. As long as you keep the glass from bending past the breaking point you are ok.

Hi all,
It sounds like I have found a great topic for discussion.Does it matter how wide the tank is built?If I had to go 1.2 long by .6 high but go .7 wide does that add a problem?
I like the idea of a cube tank,but there again what would happen if I went 700x700x600?
Cheers

6 mm base? 600 high. I dont think so.

Hi,
So I can go for more length and width as long as the height does not go more than 450mm?
Cheers

I would say 500mm height would be OK. As long as it is well braced and standing on a perfectly flat surface.

guys i have builtvarious sized tanks out of 6mm all holding but the question comes down to what sort of safety factor does the glass present should it recieve a knock by acident?

tank sizes sucessfully built 1.200 x .600 x .600/ 1,5m x .600 x .550 / 1.600 x .600 x .500..

in my opinion and experience i would not recomend going higher that 550mm in 6mm glass and each one of these tanks were properly braced with a strap over the middle (not euro braced)

hope thisadds to you thinking process..

with this being said i prefer working with 10mm and even like to complete the overflows of the tanks in 10mm (some say overkill i like the neatness of it)

also the wider you go also contributes the the thickness of the glass that should be used...

i built a tank 2.5m x .700 x 1m amd used 10mm this was not sufficient as this tank is bowing in the middle by about 3mm.. 12mm or thisker is what i will be using in future..

les

i built a tank 2.5m x .700 x 1m amd used 10mm this was not sufficient as this tank is bowing in the middle by about 3mm.. 12mm or thisker is what i will be using in future..

les
Oi, is this tank still running Les, or did you re brace it.

Shane, rather get decent glass. You might put in a lot of effort and lose the tank and livestock with one misplaced rock. Sorry to be negative but when you work in the water your perspectives and rocks in the hand are not on the same wavelength.

Use the 6mm for a small tank only.

Back
Top Bottom