tank advise

Reaction score
Hi i have just purchased a +- 250l marine tank with 20kg live rock and would like to know what lighting i should have on in the day? I was also offered a skimmer would i need one?
Regards
Craig

hi and welcometomasa

yes on skimmer(pending suitabillity)

lighting you need to plan according what you want to keep with regards to livestock/corals etc

you have any pics of the setup?
is it a running tank?
you doing a kwick move or restarting the tank?
what type of skimmer is it?
whats exact size of the tank,maybe we can help determine the exact literage etc

Last edited:
Hello and welcome.

Depending on the depth of the system. being 250L I guess its is between 420 and 600mm deep. On that depth 4 or more T5 globes would do. But more important is the type of corals. SPS and clams you most likely would need more than just 4 tubes. Depending on the thickness of your wallet, the latest LED units do offer good value and depth penetration.

Being a beginner, I would start with T5 and softy corals. Check the for sale section. Later, when you know what you want then you can upgrade the lights to a much better system.

And while here on MASA, use the Google search function at the top of every page and start reading.

hi and welcometomasa

yes on skimmer(pending suitabillity)

lighting you need to plan according what you want to keep with regards to livestock/corals etc

you have any pics of the setup?
is it a running tank?
you doing a kwick move or restarting the tank?
what type of skimmer is it?
whats exact size of the tank,maybe we can help determine the exact literage etc

Thank you for the reply, what does the skimmer actualy do? it is a running tank so its a quick move, i will have to try and find out how to up load pic's

In that size system I would say a Skimmer is neccesary....it removes DOCs (disolved organic compounds) mainly things that can't be removed via mechanical filtration

Hi again skimmer bought tank looking good is there anyone who lives in the south of Dbn who could come and give advise on when and what fish to purchase?

Back
Top Bottom