Tank additives

Reaction score
Hi All

I started my tank in May 2008 and have been adding 7ml Combisan on a weekly basis since then (recommended by LFS).

I have been trying to buy more Combisan for 3 weeks now but the LFS has no stock and now suddenly says it is not that important.... Therefore, can you please advise whether I should add Combisan, i.e. how important is it and if yes, does anyone know of a reputable LFS on the East Rand?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

there are plenty alternatives for Combisan, Kent, Pure Reef etc all make equivalants.
u can ask the Sponsors if they have

I have 2 x clowns, 1 x flame goby, 1 x sailfin tang, 1 x blue cheek goby, and 6 shrimps with 6 corals. Tank size = 1500 x 450 x 450. I do 10% water changes every 2 weeks. Water perimeters are fine.

Is it necessary for Combisan or any of its equivalents?

No additives required other thank Ca, Alk and Mg.
Ca and Alk which is found in kalkwasser and Mg which is in Epsom Salts.

What is combisan and what does it do? I've never heard of it before.

OK, thanks... Seems it is not necessary then... Combisan is a bio-activator that contains essential trace elements in special compounds easily absorbed by invertibrates, micro organisms & marine fish.... according to the print on the bottle. The only mention of what it contains is Water and trace elements, Chelant

OK, thanks... Seems it is not necessary then... Combisan is a bio-activator that contains essential trace elements in special compounds easily absorbed by invertibrates, micro organisms & marine fish.... according to the print on the bottle. The only mention of what it contains is Water and trace elements, Chelant

I think your tank will be better off without combisan IMO. Pollution in a bottle is the term that comes to mind. Add one drop into a litre of your tank water and test the phosphates and you will see why i say this.

I think your tank will be better off without combisan IMO. Pollution in a bottle is the term that comes to mind.

Agreed - you're MUCH better off using that money to do more frequent partial water changes, using a decent salt.

Apart from that, you only need to add buffer (alkalinity), calcium, and occasionally magnesium.

Hennie

Back
Top Bottom