tangs,Tangs,TANGS!!!

Ok that does it! I tried to avoid this thread for as long as I could but just had to get down to reading it today so look like i have to start saving up for some tangs! Any idea in comparison to other species of fishies why the prices of tangs make such a deep hole in the pocket?
Posted via Mobile Device

Tangs are mostly caught in the wild with almost no know breeding in aquarium, thus they have to be caught in the wild and because they are such active swimmers they are very harder to catch. With all of these stuff most of the tangs we really like don't live in the ocean close to SA but more to hawai. All these factors increase the price of a tang, but ya it's takes a massive bite out of you're money but I must admit I paid R350 for mu pb and I have never looked back... a tang is just an awesome fish!:yeahdude:

Yup, Thats why I decided to introduce him last. He is about as big as my largest sailfin, but way bigger than the rest of the tangs.

I plan on introducing some blue cheek gobies, skunk clowns a banana wrasse and some commons clown as my last fish live stock. Will these be "bliksimed" by him as well.

Annoying - Sorry for the Hijack, but I guess it will inform your decisions as well.

Ok - Verdict!

I put the Purple Tang into the DT on Friday. What a distter he got slammed and I mean really beaten up. Steps I followed

1) Climatized PT for 3 hours with a drip.
2) Caught most agreesive and largest sailfin in aquamedic fish trap and put him in qt
3) Turned off all lights and introduced PT into DT
4) Next morning my yellow tang in the DT which never showed much agreesion before went nuts, it was relentless. He is way smaller than the PT.
5) On saturday evening caught PTang again and took him him out, back in QT also returned large sailfun to DT.

P.Tang is doing fine now (in QT), eating again and healing so quickly that I cant beleive it.

I have two choices 1) Sell him or try another strategy to introduce him into DT again when he is fully healed.

I am going to try and catch the yellow tang instead and put him in qt with the PT for a while. Maybe they will learn to co-exist in a foreign territory. Then I will introduce them both togerther in the dt after a few days.

If this failes then its time to sell my xtra large PT which would be so sad..

Damn that bad, luckily my yellow eye tang didn't survive in the pet shop (better that it dies there then in my tank, I know it's cruel but it's the only way I remain possitive:() The owner felt very sorry and gave me a Tomini tang at the same price but the tomini is bigger then my pb. I introduced the tomini and foxface to the tank and firstly the pb went crazy!!! Chasing the tomini and foxface everywhere! Now the foxface learnt that he has spines and showes them when the pb comes near so the pb leaves him. The tomini is still in hiding but I think he is more scared of the cleaner wrasse then the pb:lol:. If the pb irritates him he just gives him a tail flick! Maybe if you leave your pt in the tank longer they will make peace...

Maybe if you leave your pt in the tank longer they will make peace...

Um - If your saw the fight you would not be suggesting that. It looked something like shark cage diving. The Purple Tang literally shat himself over and over until he looked drained every time the Yellow Tangs slit another piece of him.

My goodness that yellow tang is a SOB:nono:. Perhaps when I put him in qt with the PT the roles will reverse. Serves him right the blerry #@#!$.

Its best to remove the Yellow Tang and then introduce Purple Tang. Let the Yellow chill for a week or two. If not you will have to sell one of them. I sold my Yellow Tang, I rather kept Purple Tang. Yellow Tangs are quite common where as the Purples are hard to come by. And now after two months, He's the boss of the tank :)

Guys, guys, guys... won't you please accept that it's NOT a good thing to keep two or more tangs in a smallish tank, even if they do survive :nono: :nono: :nono:

Hennie

Guys, guys, guys... won't you please accept that it's NOT a good thing to keep two or more tangs in a smallish tank, even if they do survive :nono: :nono: :nono:

Hennie

I get it, but please define a smallish tank. I also cant figure out why i have witnessed so many tanks of around 2m plus like mine with many tangs ?

No need to reply, since I have read a ton of threads on this subject on the forum. I guess I will never learn

Thanks Reef Maniac, but I just cant resist since I have seen it work, I think it comes down to how and when they are introduced, and yes I know that they will still fight leading to stress, but then again maybe not ?

Hi Guys,
I have a Yellow Tang and a Purple Tang successfully in my tank, and want to add an Archilles to the group.
My system is 1200x700x700 with 1 MP40.
Lots of swim space in tank.
Please give advise I realy want one but if not that is that.

Thanks.:blush:

Its not the group thats the problem its the size tank, tangs like the Achilles and Powder Blues stress really badly in smaller systems, minimum size i would recomend is a 1.8m length.

Hi Guys,
I have a Yellow Tang and a Purple Tang successfully in my tank, and want to add an Archilles to the group.
My system is 1200x700x700 with 1 MP40.
Lots of swim space in tank.
Please give advise I realy want one but if not that is that.

Thanks.:blush:

I was pushing for an Achilles as well but backed off because my tank is only 1.5M. These guys need long tanks and I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than 1.8M.

Even thou 1.2M x 700 has a lot of space its not that long allowing for acceleration and "cruising" time.

Thanx guys so I must not add new tangs or upgrade to bigger tank.
I will upload some pics of my tank.;)

Back
Top Bottom