T5 individual reflectors VS One big one

Not yet, But I'm still going to do it.

Just a question of using Alanod or getting real reflectors. Waiting for price then I will know.

I'm going to redo my complete setup in the next month or two. This light is part of it.

Not yet, But I'm still going to do it.

Just a question of using Alanod or getting real reflectors. Waiting for price then I will know.

I'm going to redo my complete setup in the next month or two. This light is part of it.

Riaan BTW try Mega Steels in Centurion...they did my big one, prices are excellent..no scratches etc PM me for the no

i asked a norwegian reefer whos got a huge amount oif experience under his belt (he holds an accolade of having his tank featured in a book of 100 best reef aquariums around the world) and he was adamant that individual reflectors imprived light, heat and life span of bulbs. But he was trying to sell me a geisemann lighting unit to replace the very poor DIY job i did on lighting.

i asked a norwegian reefer whos got a huge amount oif experience under his belt (he holds an accolade of having his tank featured in a book of 100 best reef aquariums around the world) and he was adamant that individual reflectors imprived light, heat and life span of bulbs. But he was trying to sell me a geisemann lighting unit to replace the very poor DIY job i did on lighting.

Exactly...
The reflector not only reflects light but controls heat. For optimum performance and longevity T5 globes need to run at **c. If a single reflector is used and the tubes are packed to close together then efficiency is reduced both from an output and economic downer.

individual for sure...surprisingly i bought a hailea light unit and it has individual reflectors!:) i paid R500 second hand for that 4x54w unit ,cheaper than diy even!

new they go for like R1200 I WAS TOLD...so it may be a better option as i have diy ballasts and alanod etc but the problem is its not easy to bend the alanod into the shape you want.....needs some time and decent diy ideas.

Need a 1.2m wide sheet metal bending tool....
Anybody got one?

individual for sure...surprisingly i bought a hailea light unit and it has individual reflectors!:) i paid R500 second hand for that 4x54w unit ,cheaper than diy even!

new they go for like R1200 I WAS TOLD...so it may be a better option as i have diy ballasts and alanod etc but the problem is its not easy to bend the alanod into the shape you want.....needs some time and decent diy ideas.

That was a Bargain boss:thumbup:

That was a Bargain boss:thumbup:

lol more than you think,came included with 2 x geisemann 11000k and one blue 20000k hailea tubes(3 MONTHS OLD)!all for R500-00....:thumbup:

Guys will a mirror work as a reflector.

Hey there bell - it will work very well - but over time it will pick up rust and render the mirror useless

COOL thanx will have to do for now till i got money 4reflectors

Sorry but i disagree completely.dont use a mirror in my research on the ultimate relector i found that even white gloss as usefull as a mirror,plus a mirror will rust in time....mirrors are a waste for reef relectors will find the article that gives detailed explanations as to why they dont reflect as much light as materials like reflective aluminium sheeting.I know its mainly due to the refraction of the glass between the backing and the light

lol more than you think,came included with 2 x geisemann 11000k and one blue 20000k hailea tubes(3 MONTHS OLD)!all for R500-00....:thumbup:

Sorry but i disagree completely.dont use a mirror in my research on the ultimate relector i found that even white gloss is more usefull than a mirror....mirrors are a waste for reef relectors will find the article that gives detailed explanations as to why this is so....

With Falcon on this...remember Light has to pass through the glass to reach the "back " of the mirror (reflective part) then go out again...the effect of the light is thus almost halved, hope I make sense

Nope..sorry chicka...even white paint is better than a mirror. If you are wnting to go DIY the options are endless (i did mine from polished stainless 2,1 mtr x 500 mm) for 400 odd bucks cut & bent)
thanx please tell me where

thanx please tell me where

Hi Bell, got the Stainless from Midrand Special Steels (speak to Johan & tell him I referred you..we used to work together when I was still in the steel game)

Cutting & bending was done by Mega Steels (speak to Paul ..old client of mine), they do excellent work

Mods...I am not punting a business or supplier, just giving info on guys whom i know gives :thumbup: service. If I am out of line please remove

lol i see i edited my post same time as frans...100% frans the light has to travel through the mirror substrate(glass) twice and hence the output is almost halved..

as for stainless it will work but unfortunately also be subjected to rust in the long run.(spoke to the chairman of the rust institute of SA about this;))the best would be highly reflective aluminum
theres a company in randburg called arcona international thats does highly reflective aluminum.i cant remember the name of the product but they have 2 versions in the thin gauge 3mm if i can remember lol

but you can buy either the cheaper 80% reflective sheet(+-R270) or the 97% reflective sheet which is the best but a bit more expensive(+-R390).

THIS is usually the materials oem lighting units use.

Arcona International (Pty) Ltd
14 Basil Street
Ferndale Ext 3
Randburg

Contact Details
Tel: (011) 792-9308
Fax: (011) 792-7986

lol i see i edited my post same time as frans...100% frans the light has to travel through the mirror substrate(glass) twice and hence the output is almost halved..

as for stainless it will work but unfortunately also be subjected to rust in the long run.(spoke to the chairman of the rust institute of SA about this;))the best would be highly reflective aluminum
theres a company in randburg called arcona international thats does highly reflective aluminum.i cant remember the name of the product but they have 2 versions in the thin gauge 3mm if i can remember lol

but you can buy either the cheaper 80% reflective sheet(+-R270) or the 97% reflective sheet which is the best but a bit more expensive(+-R390).

THIS is usually the materials oem lighting units use.

Arcona International (Pty) Ltd
14 Basil Street
Ferndale Ext 3
Randburg

Contact Details
Tel: (011) 792-9308
Fax: (011) 792-7986

LOL Falcon..seems like Masa makes us better at DIY than "DIY with Riaan". Just 2 comments the product is called alcenod (sorry if spelling is off), it WILL also rust as there is no "rust proof" material out there, a lot will depend on your cleaning etc.

In all the years I sold special steels I have not come across a product that will not rust. The chemical make up of the product will determine rust capabilities (ie surgical grade s/s is more rust proof than 314 grade etc )

LOL Falcon..seems like Masa makes us better at DIY than "DIY with Riaan". hey we even have or own diy riaan p :yeahdude:

Just 2 comments the product is called alcenod (sorry if spelling is off),alanod yep
it WILL also rust as there is no "rust proof" material out there, a lot will depend on your cleaning etc.
yep true thats why I said "the best" is highly reflective aluminum but as you say over many years this does develop a white kind of rust.

In all the years I sold special steels I have not come across a product that will not rust. The chemical make up of the product will determine rust capabilities (ie surgical grade s/s is more rust proof than 314 grade etc )
and thats the problem the proper rust proof grades like over 416 dont come in highly polished finishes or else stainless would be a good option as alumininum.

Back
Top Bottom