Sunburst Anthias experiences

Reaction score
Hi there. I love this fish and would like to have one. My tank is about 120l and im thinking of keeping it with 2 tiny green chromis. Anyone kept a sunburst in a small tank?

Hi @Fishman,
I dont personally have the Sunburst Anthias in my tank, have 2 other species though. I did find this interesting info on the net.

Serranocirrhitus latus)
fathead.jpg

Description The Sunburst Anthias requires several caves or hiding places where it can rest and avoid intense reef lighting. Anthias species are all hermaphroditic. This means that if a dominant male dies, the largest female will often morph into a male and take its place in the hierarchy. These fish are completely reef safe and should not bother any corals, clams, or invertebrates. They are best kept singly unless you have a larger tank of 100 gallons or more. When keeping in groups it is best to select individuals of various sizes and to add them all at the same time. Suitable tankmates include other passive such as gobies, basslets, small wrasses, pygmy angels, and small tangs. Feed frozen preparations containing mysid shrimp, brine shrimp, and other finely chopped marine meats twice per day.
Diet:
Anthias are planktivores and feed primarily on zooplankton, tiny animals found in the water column. They benefit from several small feedings throughout the day rather than one large feeding. A healthy microinvertebrate population in the aquarium with a constant supply of food items like copepods and amphipods is beneficial but most anthias can be weaned onto frozen and prepared zooplanktons, Cyclop-eeze, mysis shrimp, baby brine shrimp and similar items.
Minimum Tank Size:
The Fathead/Sunburst Anthias prefers a tank of at least 75 gallons with plenty of places to hide & swim.
Level of Care:
Moderate
Reef Aquarium Compatibility:
Great for a reef aquarium!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom