Sun coral on bivalve

Reaction score
Hey Guys

I was staring at my Sun last night and suddenly it moved! Just such a fright. Then for the first time I noticed that most of the live rock the coral is on is more alive tha I thought! Half the thing is a bivalve of some sort.

Is this good or bad? I am worried than the bivalve might die of starvation eventually like most bivalves...what do I do then? It has been going for more than 6 months now in the nano.

5664806ea356ebde.jpg

5664806ea3571605.jpg

5664806ea3571f89.jpg

That is pretty cool, i hade a similar experience when a rock with mushrooms on it opened up:lol:

As you target feed the syncoral the oyster should get a feed too, so it should be ok

Ditto on what Wee-Man said. Only on other thing I would want to suggest:
Perhaps just use your turkey baster and create a "snowstorm" every now and again in your tank. Blow on/around all your live rock, and "dirty" the tank for a while. This should blow enough detritus, and possibly other forms of plakton, into the water column for all your filter feeders (including your bi-valve) to have a feast....

Great Stuff. Thanks Guys :)

I think I noticed another smaller one further down the rock...

So you think It is an oyster Wee-man?

The same live rock emmits puffs of "smoke" now and then. Is this related to the oyster or more hitch-hickers?

Google spiney oyster, i had one very simialr to yours and spiney oyster was the nearest match, but they do seem to get covered in something which makes it difficult to properly ID

Hi LappiesReef - that "puff of smoke" is most likely something else INSIDE the live rock (possibly another bi-valve) cleaning out it's "hole" from detritus by squirting out a water jet-stream.

Sorry i missed that, the puff of smoke could well be stomatella releasing eggs/sperm into the water column

Nice :) J the puff seems a bit too slimy to be just detritus...but who know.

All these little UPO's (unidentified-puffing-organisms) make the tank so intersting ;)

Back
Top Bottom