Sump Design Q

Reaction score
Hi Guys was sent this sump design a while back and was re looking it today (getting ready for the big tank revamp & move ...will post later on that)

Reason why i am asking is with the water running under the baffels the whole time wouldnt that impair flow over the DSB ?

Sorry if this was posted previously...could find it then :biggrin:

12804a55d6020e852.jpg

i have baffels in my sump with no problems at all

Not a stupid Q werner

look at the water flow from Right to left, you will see it goes under and over, the space created between the 2 pieces of glass is a baffle and supposed to assist in reducing microbubbles

o oky now i understand thanks for clearing it up for me :) very nice design what program did you use to design the sump on

I don't think the baffles will slow down the water too much unless they are very restrictive, but ideally you don't want too fast a flow over your DSB, but enough to not let too much detritus settle on top of the DSB.

I don't think the baffles will slow down the water too much unless they are very restrictive, but ideally you don't want too fast a flow over your DSB, but enough to not let too much detritus settle on top of the DSB.

Thanx Viper,

Not a boff on sump design...but i like this idea

Any thoughts on how wide the space between the baffle plates should be ?

No idea, I have never had baffles in any of my sumps, personally I don't see a need for them, just wasted space in my opinion, they take away useful space that could be used to increase DSB surface area.

Thanx Viper,

Not a boff on sump design...but i like this idea

Generally between 5-15mm, but all depends on the flow required, and how wide the sump is, you could calculate the cross sectional area of it to the area of the downpipe from you tank, but 5-10mm should be fine.

I find my baffles actually increase the bubbles - it creates a baby waterfall and there's no space between them to put any flow conditioning stuff.

My 2c worth, rather use the space for a bigger DSB or more chaeto which does a marvelous job of removing micro bubbles, slowing flow to allow the DSB to work more effectively, and breeding noo-noo's.

hi @FransSny, did you go with this design? how did it work for you?
looking at building a sump, will be a satelite sump though, in the next room.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi @FransSny, did you go with this design? how did it work for you?
looking at building a sump, will be a satelite sump though, in the next room.

@Starz, I simplified the design a bit for personal use, but did exactly that design for a client...works like a charm. I will see if I have a photo somewhere

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks, much appreciated..

oh, can you give dimensions of the sump please..

Back
Top Bottom