Substrate

For the cost of a sand bed in silica play sand... you could go far north.

lets see how it goes.might be a tank move in 2-3months so dont think i should even set up a DSB as yet.its just gonna get disrupted.

Builders warehouse has these nice plastic tubs approx. 500*500*400 for R50 ea, it has a lid as well. I want to get some and use it for a modular sump.
So if you build a dsb in one, then it can be moved carefully. Three months will buy you some cycle time with critters popping up :)

...However the predominant current along our coast line is north too south...this means that all Durbans waste including the harbour... dump on Gawies.
Hi Sunburst, I would agree that the offshore predominant current is north to south. However in the nearshore (surfzone) it is south to north. There is a natural northwards movement of about 500000m3 per annum of sand along the coast at the bluff and across the harbour entrance (hence the need for the sand bypass). So nearshore sand collected at Garvies etc would be affected by rivers to the south.

Thanks for all the input, guess I'll go dive me some sand at PE then.

I have collected sand from a 5m deep rock pool in Seaview, PE. It is a long gulley with pristine sand at the bottom and could only gain access to it at a very low tide. That sand seemed even finer than beach sand, perhaps it was being swirled around at the bottom of the gulley and in the process being eroded.

What about collecting beach sand off the top of high sand dunes. The wind blows the finest sand along the surface (any heavier stuff like metal pieces would be heavier and therefore not present) of the dunes and perhaps that could be collected by skimming off the surface layer of sand from the dunes. This sand would be dead but could be seeded with live sand once in the aquarium. What do you guys think?

Back
Top Bottom