Struggling with beginner corals

Reaction score
I have a 1,6X60X75 tank (total of 700 litres) with the usual (DSB, Seachem Matrix in reactor etc.) under LED's.
The system has been running for 3 years, and over the last few months I found a proven success with dosing kalkwasser. It keeps my Ca, PH and KH in check and works fine for the needs of my tank. I do a water change (NSW) of 100 litres every two weeks.
My LPS's (Goniapora, Frogspawn, Hammer coral, Elegance, Cuo coral etc.) thrive, and the SPS's are also doing fine.
Although some softies like Xenias and Leathers are happy, most of my polyps are dying off, slowly. I even managed to kill two colt corals over a period of a few months, and they are considrered to be as tough as nails!!!
My parameters are all in check, not perfect, but good enough to keep the LPS's and SPS's happy.
I would buy a rock that is covered with polyps, and within two to three months they just seem to deteriorate. (see attached pics)
The only thing I haven't tried (it seems) is dosing Iodine.

What would you guys say?:blush:

20131227_200923.jpg

20131227_200947.jpg

do you dip your corals? often zoa eating nudis or sundial snails will cause polyp to close up

Your zoas, xenia etc will suffer if your water is too clean. Running a large amount of carbon will also cause them to not do to well. That or parasites I would guess.

Have you looked at temp, flow and feed?

Yes SteveZi I have checked all of that.

do you dip your corals? often zoa eating nudis or sundial snails will cause polyp to close up

I don't know sundial snails, but then, I would have noticed any (big) thing eating on them.

Your zoas, xenia etc will suffer if your water is too clean. Running a large amount of carbon will also cause them to not do to well. That or parasites I would guess.

Yes, Mewik I know that most softies need water that is not too clean, but as stated, my tests indicate a slight amount off from perfect (if that is what you mena by "clean"). I also think it could be some parasite, but what should I try? Dipping them, as 4age asked? Will it help?

Check on you test kit what the ph and the kh of the nsw you collect are. The ph is low Every time test the nsw you collect for ph, kh dose it till ph reading what suppose to be. I use nsw and the ph always to low. And with nsw ad also calcium, magnesium and trace elements, use fuel. I find you need to ad more stuff to nsw to get it close to red see salt and other name brand salt. ( all stuff added still not close to bucket salt. My opinion and findings. :peroni:

You could try to dip them if you have any suspicion that it might be parasites. I have the same issue with zoas, shrooms and rics in my tank so I don't know if it is a parasite as ive searched endlessly for some signs of anything. They grow and multiply but just don't open well in my tank. If I move them almost completely out of the light into the shade they will open twice as much if not more. I dont think its the lights as I have had the same issue under mh, t5 and led. It might be something in the water that they are lacking or being exposed to that causes a sensitivity to light of some sorts? I just came up with that light idea now....so its probably way off lol. I must actually look into it more to try come to a conclusion, ive never really bothered with it too much as they dont seem to deterred by it.

However please post on here if you do come to a conclusion. Would like to know what is actually causing it and if we are having the same issue.

Last edited:
I would go with what @Mewik said above. although your readings indicate that your water is not exactly 100% ''clean'' even being very close can be enough for the softies not to do well. I guess its the main reason why people game SPS and LPS dominated tanks and softies separated ... if you have nudis I think you wouldve seen at least one by now.

try examining your corals at night using a red filter on your flash light as marine animals do not are red and won't hide when you shine the light at them or near where they are

Last edited by a moderator:
what are your nitrates and phosphates readings?

Take all your zoas out of dt and coral dip them properly. Swish them around in the dip solution so that nothing is left to chance. Coral rx or similar dip. They could have a predator eg snail or nudibranch ( not that easy to see) or have a bacterial or fungal infection. Take out a zoa colony that is not looking good and if it honks then u know it is an infection. If there is any rotting flesh on edges then cut it away and re dip the frag.ps Sometimes predators hide during the day and only come out at night so I would start with dipping zoas and also setting a crab trap just in case

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom