Stocking a boyu tl 550

Reaction score
Hi. My tank is still busy cycling but I am starting to consider possible stocking options and would love some comments...

2 percula clowns
2 blue-green chromis
1 algae-eating blenny (lawnmower)
1 Blue damsel
1 flame angel
1 fire fish
1 Neon blue goby

I also plan on adding soft corals

This is not an definite list (i know there are too many) but simply a list of fish I like and think stay small :) any other recommendations would be appreciated. Generally
Looking for small colorful reef-safe fish :thumbup:

I believe the blue damsels get quite aggressive and territorial against other fish, so maybe consider that and then the blue-green chromis, i might be mistaken here but i think they need to be kept in groups of at least 4 to 5 as they schooling fish, i stand to be corrected on that one tho.

Otherwise looks like a good stocking list :)
Enjoy

The damsels are really interesting fish, but they don't play well with others.
Specially in a small tank with a flame angel all the other fish.
I also wouldn't put a lawnmower blenny in there, they need to graze all day so you need a lot of mature live rock or it will probably starve. Maybe consider a blenny that is more of a omnivore like the bi-colour. The neon goby is also not going to be easy to find, maybe look around at some of the other gobies. My favourite is the yasha goby but you also don't see them that often.

Love the fire fish its awesome:) if you still keen on getting a damsel rather add as one of your last fish, but there is still quite a big chance of him chasing the others as NickW and Mandarin said! I personally dont like damsels!
Cant wait to see tank pics when its finished cycling:thumbup:
Good luck!

Hey man....I dono why some are so cautious, but my lawnmover blenny does fine in my tank...Everybody goes on about it needing algae ect...But algae is non exsistant in my tank and he is fat and healthy man(and he was the second fish i added to my tank 1year ago)....So yeah go for the lawnmower...They are very intresting and have much more personality than any other fish...I have a blue damsil that does NOTHING to my other fish...Just add him last...I have a 450 and i got a African clown, Anthea(goldie as some know them), Lawnmower Blennie, yellow shrimp goby, Lemon Clown Goby and a blue damsil...Had a chromis but got to big for my tank..
Good luck....

arries if you read again he never said it has to have algae, he stated that they require a mature as well as mature LR where the blenny can grase. I have one in my tank and he prefers grazing on the coraline than eating the algae. I would just stay away from damsels in general, my chromis are such pets and continue to chase each other around all the time, i personally think they shouldnt be kept in nano's as the chances of them beeing aggressive are high, consider bangaai cardinals if you want to change your mind they are very placid are quite easy to look after.

@LouiseS I know where you can get a neon goby, they pricey tho, will pm you.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason I say that is because I had one and I tried to feed it everything, it would never touch any food that I offered it. You may have gotten lucky with one that eats prepared food but the reason that everyone goes on like that is because a lot of them don't. Mine didn't and it is now dead.
The best way is if you really want one ask the LFS if it is eating prepared food such as flakes or nori and unless it a guy you really trust make him feed it in front of you.

Hi

I still have nightmares about my first (and only) blue damsel, would not go near one again.

Agree with the lawnmower blennie, you are very lucky of you can get them to eat, would rather wait until your tank is mature, they are beautiful fish, will add one one-day to my tank.

The neon (cleaner) gobies is some of the best fish I have ever added to my tank, note you can get different colors in them. I have got a blue one, the golden ones are pretty as well. Only add one though, I tried a pair and the one harassed and killed the other one.

Would add the angel's last and hope it leave your corals alone.

Also look at coral gobies (nice colors available), tail-spot gobies and green banded goby.

My favorite is the Pygmy wrasses, they are slightly more tricky to get to feed, but absolutely stunning in a peaceful tank (only).

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments - just what I was looking for:thumbup:

The damsel is now off the list and will need to do some more reading up on the chromis to check if they are schooling fish. Think I will give the lawnmower blenny a go- bought some great LR from a masa member which has lots of coralline etc on it. Apparently the blenny I can get is also eating just about anything:p

2 percula clowns
2 blue-green chromis
1 algae-eating blenny (lawnmower)
1 flame angel
1 fire fish
1 Neon blue / golden gobie.

That Pygmy wrasse is a cool looking fish, while Len's clown gobie is such an amazing yellow is definitely on the list now too. May have to swop out the fire fish for one of them....

Is 8 fish too many for a TL550? Thank goodness the cycling period is so long or I may have bought out all the LFS already :tt2:

Thanks for the help!!

I agree with @Arries about the damsel.........I also have one and in the beginning he was rather windgat......but since my Bangai Cardinal outgrew him he bacame very docile and even shy........He doesnt attack the other fish and knows his place in the tank........and hes quite awesome to watch.......he loves moving through tunnels and narrows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Royal gramma, Firefish, Yellowbelly damsel(more docile than others), your 2 Clowns, 2 Cleaner shrimp and some of your other selections would be nice for colour as well but most importantly let your tank cycle for as long as possible with the Liverock in it. Patience is key in this hobby when starting out. Do not rush anything.
Some newbies know this but still go out to try and rush things.
Dont be impatient and everything will run smoothly over time and once you in a routine.
Good luck on the new tank :)

Boyu TL 550

I also run the same tank. I've had it for more than a year now, and it's going well. It's a great tank, no matter what other people might say.

But I must say that it does get a little small when your corals really take off after a year or so!

My advice to you:

Avoid the damsels. (I started out with them as well, and they are horrible bullies!)

8 Fish in this tank might be a bit too much. You'll have to do water changes quite often if you stock it this heavily. I also don't think that the tank has enough space for 8 fish.

I have four fish in mine, one shrimp, one hermit and two snails. I would consider going up to 6 fish. But to me 5 is probably the limit for this tank.

Second, and probably most important piece of advice:

Stock the tank very slowly.

It is quite a small tank, and adding two fishes at a time adds considerably to the bioload. If you do this too quickly you are definitely going to end up with nitrate and phosphate problems.

So I'd suggest you add two fish and a shrimp at first. Then give the tank a month at the very least to stabilise before you add more livestock. This'll ensure that it doesn't get any big "shocks" that might cause algae or cyano.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom