Still in the setting up phase

Okey if you look at the pic where the bio balls is, (and yes I did remove them) is it possible to put activated carbon in there or where would you say.
How much one must use?
and how often?
How long before replacing?

9124835209d00705.jpg

i agree with war. when i think about it. playsand is so dense and heavy at the bottom how is a worm suposed to live in such a dense medium. maybe some crushed coral, then playsand then a layer of crushed coral again, for the pods and bristle worms etc o move around in... like a trifle cake:p ! my opinion probably isn't the greatest but that makes more sense to me...

Theo, you can put your GAC (Granular Activated Carbon) in a stocking and just dump it in there, preferably after your DSB in the last chamber, ideally it should be replaced every 2 or 3 weeks.

With regards to your skimmer drain, if you do it then remember you must still clean your skimmer cup at least twice a week, especially the inside of the neck as you get a build up of scum in the neck of the skimmer and this reduces the efficiency of the skimmer.

I like the skimmer Theo. What brand is it?

And, IF you are able to drill without breaking the cup, then, by all means - go for it (if you want to). The skimmer cup itself is just for collecting the skimmate. BUT, the most important bit is the inner bit of the "tapering neck". This allows the protein and bubbles to accumulate and form "foam". As long as you don't damage this bit... it should be ok.

Just to re-visit the sand-bed (if you don't mind Theo). The "thing" with the sand-bed:
Take into account the Joubert plenum design, then basically having a "rough and big particle" substrate at the bottom, makes sense, as this is basically just a different type of plenum. The main reasoning behind the small particle and substrate type, as far as I understood, is that it should be small enough not to clogg up like mud, and not sharp enough to hurt the tiny micro-critters that take up refuge and set up home, in the substrate.

Right?

Back
Top Bottom