SteveZi's mini tide-pool project

Reaction score
Water volume is +- 120L with an xtra 70L in the sump.
Two pipes - the overflow pipe, as well as the airlift that drives the UG filter, are hidden by 2 columns of rock.
Skimmer and DSB in the sump.
The overflow pipe consists of two pieces that are joined in such a way that water can slowly seep through the joint,
but at a slower pace than the inflow from the return pump.
This allows me to simulate low and high tide by simply switching the return pump on or off.
During "low tide" I also switch off the powerhead inside the main tank to create calm water - like an isolated tide pool.
The airlift still continues to push water that percolates down over the exposed rocks.
The anemones in my tank react completely different depending on what tide it is - they become elongated during low and retract during high.
Some snails and hermits love to sit on the exposed rocks during low tide.
Everything seems to come alive once high-tide arrives.
a Bonus is that I can save a little bit of electricity by not running everything all the time.
I can also keep the temp down when needed - today I measured 35degrees C right next to the tank, water temp was only 24degrees.
I've been running hightide this evening and temp has gone up a degree, so time for low again...
One day I will syncronize everything to actual tide charts.

Some photos:

High-tide
44704ec8277136841.jpg

44704ec827d6bbde6.jpg

water percolating over rocks
44704ec82817c0b8f.jpg

extended column during low tide
44704ec8287535783.jpg

Wow great job, and the colours are spectacular:yeahdude:

Looks great! Should you not put the two pumps on a timer to simulate a more regular "tide"?

Fantastic setup, love the way those anemones extend so much.

Thanks everyone, and thanks for the timer idea, I will defnitely try to incorporate it, hopefully get a timer that can be set to advance halfhour to an hour evryday - that would be nice.
I'm also getting a little vortech and will be experimenting with the different flow settings.

for now it's just a matter of waiting for all the anemones to sort themselves and find theirown spots.
The tank will go through a mini cycle now - I'll be adding some fish, depending on what the season brings, but that would be in a month or two.
I'm thinking Cutribbon wrasses, or maybe a shoal of Cape moony, or maybe some filefish to eat all those anemones...
I'll be adding some Cape Porcelain crabs and other invertebrates in the meantime:)

Awesome tank idea!! I love the colours of the local anemones. Just be careful as they can be really potent. We learnt our lesson with a really big nennie that ate a few of our fish before we realised he was the culprit.

Will be following this one :thumbup:

Very nice :)

Back
Top Bottom