Steph's New 500Lt Tank.

Update time :p

ok so Tank has been up and running just over a week now.

PARAMETERS TAKEN YESTERDAY
PH 8
KH 8
Salinity 1.024
Temp 26
Calcium 560
Nitrate 0
Amonia 0

Problems:
Some of my fish have a couple of white spots ICH - been treating with ML herbtana and feeding lots of garlic guard in food - they are still eating so its a good thing.. anything else i can do..?? i tried to catch the little buggers but its not eassy in such a huge tank...

Return pump is so noisy and keeps vibrating in sump - solutions???

Had to switch off skimmer as was treating for ICH - now that skimmer is on again it is overflowing into sump - tried everything to regulate - not working - solutions?? is it going to settle down again??

power head - i have the sicce voyager 8 and find that it is at times a bit too strong so i tend to switch it off at night - is it ok to do that?? i think i may need a smaller flow pump for when i switch it off.. any recommendations??

Lost TWO corals - didn't take the move very well :( ( Brain and nennie)

have you tries raising skimmer even just with piece of eggcrate or 2 its the medication in the tank causing skimmer to work overtime. What return pump have you got?

yip tried raising skimmer didn't work - tried regulating the outlet, and air intake as well - nothing worked :blush: tried raising the skimmer pump as well a little too...

its just foaming so much all over and cup is overflowing so sump is full of bubble foam..

could be the medication thats making it go nuts...

i have to check the name on the return pump.. will let you know ASAP

Fish are just stressed leave them but keep feeding them maybe get some vitamins to soak the food in.

Empty the skimmer cup it's taking all the crap out.

What's the flow rate of the pumps? IMO never too much flow..

Sorry to hear about your loss could have been the stress.

Ok - will get vitamins to add to the food as well.

if i have to empty the skimmer cup ill be spending my entire day there - it fills up every 10 minutes or so.. and the water is clear :whistling:

Voyager 8 pump is a Max Flow 12000 LPH

Last edited:
The skimmer is reacting to the Herbtana in the water, you will have to collect the stuff in skimmer cup, and remove from tank, if you just let it flow back into the sump, the same thing will happen...romove as much as possible. If you skimmer has a hole to drain cup (my reef octo has) attache a pipe to it into a bucket - then you wont have to wait and empty....it will calm down once the meds have cleared the water...

What model of reef octo is that ... Also how is the air intake chamber ... Even if there is a little water in it it will cause the skimmer to overskim as it wont be getting the correct ratio of air and water ... Not to forget the meds and garlic are considered to be nutrients to the skimmer ... So its just doing its job to get rid of the excess nutrients ... Have you tried Seachem Stability after the move ... Works wonders to bring everything into check quick quick

you will have to open the valve on the skimmer to lower water level in the skimmer body. how high is the waterlevel sitting on the skimmer (i mean the water level in the actual sump). I would leav skimmer off if still medicating..you need the medication to work for some time after white spot clears up

Might get shot down for this here goes anyways ... Its not a train smash to have the skimmer off for a little while .... Give or take one or 2 hours it will give your meds to work their magic and dilute a bit so thst the skimmer doesn't go banana's .... Just forget to put it on though ... Then you asking for trouble

Last edited:
it is the Reef Octopus NWB 200 skimmer

there is no water in the air chamber, and i emptied and cleaned the cup yesterday before putting it on so no yucky stuff in there.. and yes it does have a hole and plug to drain the cup.. my only concern is that it fills up every ten minutes or so - and water is clear and at that rate ill empty my entire tank in no time :blush:

i sat on the floor in front of the skimmer last night for a good few hours trying to sort it out.. so i tried adjusting slowly..

Back
Top Bottom