Starting With Marines

This is my first day here on the forum and everything i've read so far leads me to believe that when i arrive home tonight my tank will have exploded!!!! or at least be a rotting mess of soft coral and fish!! IF ONLY I HAD DONE MY RESEARCH FIRST!!!! reading an article like this would have totally changed the way i 'set up' my tank!! but alas, it is what it is... so my question is this... IS THERE A CHANCE THAT MY 1 MONTH OLD 'COMPLETE ENVIRONMENT/SYSTEM' WILL SURVIVE?
Thanks to all for the amazing site/forum, your assistance is invaluable!! (n hopefully not too late..)

Thanks Reef Maniac! I have just joined Masa and I've been reading anything I can get my hands on but this article has been the most concise summary and best single piece of advise I have come across. Well written and incredibly valuable to me. I'm surprised it doesn't have more views, but that is hopefully due to multiple copies available in different forums/websites.

great article Reef manic
i already have a 37 L tank for 7 months doin great , just getting a 120 ;Litre tank now
havin difficulty thinking how to transfer the stock got soft corals s, cleaner shrimp two clowns
yellow / green wrasses , yellow watch man gobie and three blue leged grabs ,,,,,any suggestions

this a an amazing article. just one thing.... do you have to add supplements "to help our critters" even when you are using natural sea water. or do you still have to use it but not to a certain extent

So, you want to start a Marine tank….

A word of warning: starting a marine tank cause a serious change in human behavioral patterns - looking dreamy eyed at your tank for hours on end; phoning your loved ones (or anyone!) in the middle of the night to tell them about a new polyp, worm, glowing thingy about 1mm long, ... which you have just discovered; not buying new clothes, furniture etc. because your tank REALLY needs that new light, filter, ROCK, etc....
:lol:so true:lol:, made me laugh reading it:lol:.

A question though, I have a deep sand bed in one of my chambers in my sump, I was advised to add 'a worm of some sorts' to turn it.
Is this True?

Great read , thoroughly enjoyed it , always good to go back to basics now and then .

A question though, I have a deep sand bed in one of my chambers in my sump, I was advised to add 'a worm of some sorts' to turn it.
Is this True?

You want something that will move sand about so that no dead spots occur , there are lots of critters you could get , sand sifting star fish would aslo do good job. But Google sand sifting inverts or sand dwelling inverts or check out the forum .

Great read , thoroughly enjoyed it , always good to go back to basics now and then .

You want something that will move sand about so that no dead spots occur , there are lots of critters you could get , sand sifting star fish would aslo do good job. But Google sand sifting inverts or sand dwelling inverts or check out the forum .
Ok thanks will do, don't have a light over the sump so will have to plan it to do it then thanks.

Just be careful the sand sifter should be counter productive to the purpose of your DSB

You gonna add that worm to eat detritus etc

Then the star is gonna eat that worm you add and the worms; family, distant cousins, best friends that uncle he’s only met twice plus all his pod neighbors

The the star will starve and die. And you will be left with dsb (dead sand bed)

As a newbie starting my 1st marine tank this is such a great read up. It's amazing that reef maniac took so much time just to help people like me. I've been to a few shops in Cape Town and got alot of different advice but this write up was exactly what I needed.

Thank you Reef Maniac

Back
Top Bottom